Man made v natural breeding and selection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, watched it. Not great. Very simplistic. I have sympathy with some of it, but it's essentially just a list of things that beekeepers do that isn't how bees would do it in the wild, with the non-sequitur conclusion that this must mean that bees are going to suffer a great genetic decline.

Well I watched it, well most of it. There were some genuinely interesting observations sadly obscured by the Black bee beating drum, opinion offered as fact and the notion that the German bee organisation were not very helpful or forward thinking . To quote JBM he did come across as a "sandal wearing eco warrior leavitalone beekeeping type" and virtually said as much towards the end.

the notion that the German bee organisation were not very helpful or forward thinking
When the exact opposite is actually true (or should German actually read British) Did start watching it meself but sadly lost interest and found myself on fleabay looking for shelving for the new storage shed

When the exact opposite is actually true (or should German actually read British) Did start watching it meself but sadly lost interest and found myself on fleabay looking for shelving for the new storage shed
I take your point though he mentioned the Deutscher Imkerbund more than once when pointing out perceived errors/faults in methodology and or advice etc....

I take your point though he mentioned the Deutscher Imkerbund more than once when pointing out perceived errors/faults in methodology and or advice etc....
Maybe it's the same as with us then? all the innovation and forward thinking takes place outside the thrall of a national association which is as moribund and set in their ways as ours.

The guy said: bees must talk to each other, what queen they are goig to leave".

I say to that: If it is so, the bees must have a good knowledge about genetics and about their virgins's genes.

The guy thinks too much.

But everyone may put into youtube what they get into mind.

Last edited:
I was about to say exactly the same thing, but you beat me to it :)

I'm aware of two papers, one in 2014 which showed the average bee in Germany now has near 48% Varroa resistance (Pin Test), and another estimating the rate of increase was 1.5% per year... bees only need 75% + (throughout the year) to be able to cope with Varroa without Treatments; that's an amazing result, since their national breeding program began around 1990.

I was about to say exactly the same thing, but you beat me to it :)

I'm aware of two papers, one in 2014 which showed the average bee in Germany now has near 48% Varroa resistance (Pin Test), and another estimating the rate of increase was 1.5% per year...

Pin test does not measure varroa resistance. It only tells, how quickly bees indentyfy dead pupae and clean them from the combs.

that's an amazing result, since their national breeding program began around 1990.
Yes, but I'm suspecting that the National breeding programme has little to do with Deutscher Imkerbund which is their equivalent (maybe on more ways than one) of the BBKA

Pin test does not measure varroa resistance. It only tells, how quickly bees indentyfy dead pupae and clean them from the combs.
It shows how capable the bees are in detecting that something is wrong inside the sealed cell, such as, virus / disease infection, reproducing varroa mite, etc. and then their ability to open and remove the problem quickly.

Last edited:
I shows how capable the bees are in detecting that something is wrong inside the sealed cell, such as, virus / disease infection, reproducing varroa mite, etc. and then their ability to open and remove the problem quickly.

Apiarist. You use too much imagination. Hygienic bees do not solve that many diseases.

German research revieled a few years ago, that only 1% out of colony's bees can detect and open the varroa cell and 5% can tear the pupa out. The research cost was 1 milj.€. They followed with video, which individual bee can detect the problem.

You can imagine, that you craft 100 queen cells, mut how many has those detect genes. Oly one accrding statistic, or nothing.

In Australia, in Tasmanian breeding station they trird to breed hygienic bees 10 years. Then they stopped the project, because they did not get any more money.

They achieved the result that in pin tests some breed had 40% hygienic level and best 80%. Drone stock must be 66% hygienic, that hygienic ability is inherited to hygienic virgins.

Not so easy task, what hobby beekeepers are writing.

German beekeepers are allowed to keep only Carniolan bees.

Last edited:
Medication against varroa sets up a form of genetic addiction.

Discuss from the point of view of:
a) a breeder,
b) a wild honeybee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back