Making your own foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
I came across a site that shows how to make your own foundation press so thought I would share it you will have to use a translator but the process looks do-able

http://tinyurl.com/p9uakmx

one of my BKA members has made a similar press and Won our honey show craft section

he used food grade silicon and a piece of plastic super foundation to take the silicon mold from

He has aslo added 5 pegs (3 one side and 2 the other) to wind on foundation wire, so making a sheet of wired super foundation

Looks very good. View it using Google and run the transator. It.s a bit broken English but understandable.

I have seen several own foundation pricedures, but that picture chain is smart.

I have hard job enough when I can melt those all my combs to wax.

I have made foundation with the leaf type press, as in this thread, and the Herring (rolled former) type press, both can produce good foundation, only difference is the cast foundation tends to be more brittle.

I was quite touched by his words at the end,
"I share these basic honeycomb mold construction hopefully benefit your business
I greet you with love and respect all my fellow beekeepers.
Everything your heart desires, whether it's goodbye."

Something very similar to this on e bay at the moment costs £225

Last edited:
I think the e-baay one is water cooled though

I was quite touched by his words at the end,
"I share these basic honeycomb mold construction hopefully benefit your business
I greet you with love and respect all my fellow beekeepers.
Everything your heart desires, whether it's goodbye."

all in the translation, Babylon has

I shared the Basic Honeycomb mold-made god willing work for all beekeeper takes care of his hives I greet friends and love and respect. Whatever way your heart desires while resting everything,Bye.

bing has

I hope this useful Basic Honeycomb pattern construction
I respectfully greet all my love and beekeeper.
Everything your heart desires, and knows where.

eco has

I shared the Basic Honeycomb mold-made god willing your beekeeper takes care of his hives Beekeeper friends love and respect, whatever way your heart desires while resting I greet.Everything,Bye.

Last edited:
A bit of time and a few tubes of silicone sealant got to be worth a try

Last edited:
Some of the things that aren't initially clear to me -
- Are there any tricks involved in putting the hinge on, and the sides? It seems as though the sandwich is completed, all stuck together, and then somehow trimmed and 'squared up', before fitting the hinge, etc ...
- If I understand correctly, he only discovered that he needed a release agent after he first tried to use it! However, it was easy after he used some sort of release agent?

Some of the things that aren't initially clear to me -
- Are there any tricks involved in putting the hinge on, and the sides? It seems as though the sandwich is completed, all stuck together, and then somehow trimmed and 'squared up', before fitting the hinge, etc ...
- If I understand correctly, he only discovered that he needed a release agent after he first tried to use it! However, it was easy after he used some sort of release agent?
I thought about the hinge bit but it does make sense, fitting it when the whole thing is stuck together will eliminate a possible error in aligning it if separated first

John Vivian, Keeping Bees, 1986 Williamson Publishing has a good section on making a press for foundation, but using Plaster of Paris alone... he suggests using a low calorie cooking spray as a release agent.
I have used Polycraft Vinamold Hot Melt Rubber ( white.. melts at 140 - 150 centigrade) to mold from a plaster cast for making lost wax bronze and aluminium castings... using a cold set polymer must be a lot easier as the foundation can be used directly!
The 30's foundation press I sometimes use has a spelter metal mold and is ok once it heats up... but only makes thick foundation.. ideal for mating nucs!

Latest posts

Back