Lot-less lables

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - and steward of 8 others.
We've been jarring up the cathedral honey, with volunteers from our 'long-term unemployed' project.

In an unguarded moment, the person labelling the jars, started a new roll of labels, not realising that the first 50 or so of the print run, didn't include a lot number.

Am I right in thinking that, if we simple sell the honey at point of production* - i.e. to the cathedral congregation - we don't need a lot number?

Or will I have to write a lot number by hand on each jar?

[The simple solution, of course, is to slap a numbered label on top of the unnumbered one. However, label design was part of the process from which I was excluded. They produced a label fractionally too deep to fit between the 'shoulders' of the jars - so they don't lie flat. They look sort of.......artisanal. Putting a second one on top would look awful! They also produced a tamper label with too short a tail. What an expensive couple of mistakes to rectify.]

Dusty.

* I reckon 30 feet from the hives, in a verticle direction, is sufficiently close to the 'point of production'!

You could write the batch number on each jar but personally life's to short and I wouldn't lose any sleep over a few jars missing a batch number. You are after all in the right place forgiveness :)

now you have have written it on an open forum, you can not deny knowledge. you could always write in your records that 5 spaces is the lot number for the 50 first of this lot. You have fulfilled your duty to keep record in the unlikely event that you get in trouble with the law...

The batch needs to be recognisable in your records. One batch only per year and you don't need a batch number. Best before dates can be used as batch identifiers, I believe (or year identifiers for the instances of only one per year.).

So your one batch without an actual number can be accommodated I need yor records, as I see it. Just don't do it again for the ''same use by'' date on the jars!

RAB

"Best before" dates are required but "use by dates" are not. I agree with previous poster that if the "best before" date is specific eg "best before 31/3/17" or "best before end March 2017" for each batch (and recorded) then this can also serve as a lot number.

for direct sale from producer to final consumer the requirements are far less rigid. You nee the word honey and that is about all you require

"Best before" dates are required but "use by dates" are not. I agree with previous poster that if the "best before" date is specific eg "best before 31/3/17" or "best before end March 2017" for each batch (and recorded) then this can also serve as a lot number.

After a talk at our bka a couple of years ago by the man from the council I have ONLY used specific "Best Before" dates as my lot/batch identifier!
ie Best Before 01/04/2016

Makes my labels simpler and as I only jar in smallish batches I can easily keep track of them.

Latest posts

Back