looking to go to bigger brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
well I have several standard national hives now, but a couple of the colonies are just too big for them in all honesty - I am wondering about moving up to a commercial and wondered what peoples feed back on them are. considering commercial mainly because as far as I can figure out, I will be able to use everything else the same so less issues with me muddling bits up.

Double brood means lifting one heavy box to inspect.

I chose jumbo Langstroth to avoid that.

I have done double brood before and found it very messy, It was with a customers wbc and none of the boxes were identical! bees constantly braced between the two, My colonies are messy enough without adding to the mess! plus the idea of the weight to lift isn't fun! although I guess I could go brood and half.

I am wondering about moving up to a commercial and wondered what peoples feed back on them are.

Worked quite a few of them in the past, excellent hives. Lovely well proportioned frames. A good choice.

14 x 12s would only need an approx 90mm eke fitting to the bottom of the deep box plus new frames.

RAB

I'm making the move to Cmrcl BB for the same reasons and can make a BB very very reasonably from 18mm ply.

14x12 is the way to go, easy to convert standard brood boxes to that size with an eke. Keeps the costs down as well

Then you can inspect much easier and quicker than double brood or brood and a half as where is the queen is she in box 1or 2 even fallen onto the ground during box lifts it happens

Changed 2 years ago never looked back.
Some of the advantages
Same as National footprint just taller, more bees, more space, less swarming, easier to see coming, larger stores for winter survival.
P@ynes nucs with the eke work really really well for big numbers straight into a hive.
Negatives
Weight of frame, finding queens is fun, I don't normally bother in any case, some of my colleagues have suggested I'm hot housing and overworking herself and I'm breading thoroughbred racehorses, but its not something ive seen so far, only time will tell.

A final personal thought is that i always felt nationals were too short for what I perceive the traditional turnip shape of brood is in its most natural form.

Last edited:
In the West Country the ideal size is Commercial. Bigger brood, less swarming, easy size to lift. And, as you say, everything else, more or less, fits.

If you want to keep using National supers, floors and roofs you can choose between Commercial, brood and a half, double brood and 12x14.

I have used all four. Didn't get on with Commercials, the lugs are very short which made the frames fiddly (for me, I have big fingers). If you don't like the idea of double brood 12x14 is probably a good answer for you. I think the extra depth rather than lenght/breadth suits the bees as they seem to like a tall broodnest. Also tried a poly Langstroth this year without q/e and I found it worked quite well, so will do more of that next season. You need a lot of new kit for that though.

As said above it is dead easy to convert to 12x14.

Last edited:
There are a couple of problems with 14 x 12's (which are out-weighed by the advantages, IMHO):
1) If you ever need to lift a full one, it is a two person job.
2) Make sure your frames are well-constructed... a 14 x 12 frame full of honey sometimes feels like it will snap off the lugs.
3) When you are trying to sell a 14 x 12 nucleus you get questions like, 'What's a 14 x 12?', 'Will they fit in my brood box? (sideways???)'...

There are a couple of problems with 14 x 12's (which are out-weighed by the advantages, IMHO):
2) Make sure your frames are well-constructed... a 14 x 12 frame full of honey sometimes feels like it will snap off the lugs.
3) When you are trying to sell a 14 x 12 nucleus you get questions like, 'What's a 14 x 12?', 'Will they fit in my brood box? (sideways???)'...
Very good points, although I think a lot more people are converting to 12x14, so more people are looking for bees on the frames. Getting that first heavy frame out of the 12x14 box can be quite a job.

I really like my double brood colonies. Lots of space for the queen, easy to take nucs from, and very easy to use foundationless frames which I love. If you can put up with the lifting and going through all those frames, which can be a pain.

Re your point 1. That's when you need three Weetabix breakfasts and plenty of honey drizzled on top :) Makes a second person superfluous.

+1 on the construction of the frame. they all get a second go from the nail gun

Hi, completely brand new. Have been helping at a friend's apiary. Will be buying a hive soon to begin next Spring. What is the difference in size between a commercial & a 14 x 12?
Sorry for the stupid question.

Latest posts

Back