looking to go to bigger brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, sorry. I've just seen the above sticky, please ignore my question.
Again, very sorry.

Thanks for that, I just don't like wasting people's time.
I'm joining the local club this November, (Blackpool) & will check if others are using the 14x12. I know as a newcomer I won't have many bees the first year, but I suppose "what will hold a lot will hold a little"

I am trying out a double brood box (national) with home-made spacers either side in each brood box. So I have 8 frames in each brood box.
I have taken the idea from the BBKA News (May 2014, page 163) “Choice of Hive” by Ken Gorman. The idea is that you have a tall but narrower brood environment, all made out the standard brood frames that are all interchangeable. Time will tell if it works

I am trying out a double brood box (national) with home-made spacers either side in each brood box. So I have 8 frames in each brood box.
I have taken the idea from the BBKA News (May 2014, page 163) “Choice of Hive” by Ken Gorman. The idea is that you have a tall but narrower brood environment, all made out the standard brood frames that are all interchangeable. Time will tell if it works

Note that some poly National designs (for example the Swienty from CWynneJones) retain the standard external dimensions, but because of the thicker poly end walls only take 10 frames.
Seems like a nice way of going double brood.

But I'm very happy with my (mostly Paynes poly - all 11 frame) 14x12s. And I think the bees are too.

I know as a newcomer I won't have many bees the first year, but I suppose "what will hold a lot will hold a little"

Whatever colony you start with, you should expect them to be at least filling a 14x12 brood box (and more) by the Autumn.
Colonies grow very fast in Spring / Early Summer …

14x12

Or, if you want to stick with DN4's (which I do - as I've adopted a 'one-size-fits-all-boxes' approach) then consider making some Long Hives. A 29-31" Long Hive holds around 18-19 frames, which I find to be a very useful setup.

LJ

You could very easily go for langstroth hives if you want them bigger but not as big as 14x12 or commercials.

National frames fit nicely with top and side bars to convert the frames.

Latest posts

Back