Looking for Fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until you factor in the energyl cost of 'cooking' them. Both heating the stuff up and your time and work processing them.

There is no cooking, just mix 5kg of sugar with 250ml of water and a few drops of lemongrass oil, press into take-away containers and dry in the airing cupboard - so no additional cost.

I bought 20 x 12.5kg boxes earlier in the year (way too much as it turns out) but it was just under £8.50 a box from bako NW with free dellivery.

Thanks Noddy - sounds straighforward.
Thanks for the link Madasafish - not sure I like the sound of that vinegar though

Thanks Noddy - sounds straighforward.
Thanks for the link Madasafish - not sure I like the sound of that vinegar though

Use water instead.

I bought 20 x 12.5kg boxes earlier in the year (way too much as it turns out) but it was just under £8.50 a box from bako NW with free dellivery.

Have you left a '1' off that price?
My account with Bako North Western is showing the price at £18.75 a box!
Its been that price for > 12months.

nope. £8.50! I was quite surprised!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Bako are such rip off merchants. I guess it depends on who you speak to on the day. my quote started of at £11 a box, reduced to £8.66 after saying I would take 20.

I've got 4 spare and unopened if anyone wants them at cost price.

Bako are such rip off merchants. I guess it depends on who you speak to on the day. my quote started of at £11 a box, reduced to £8.66 after saying I would take 20.

I've got 4 spare and unopened if anyone wants them at cost price.

Each Bako depot is independent of the rest and it's up to each manager what they charge, most also have a minimum purchase amount although some managers will sell you below that minimum using their own personal account and add a markup.
The manager with us works on a low profit margin/high turnover basis, we paid less than £8.00 a box this year and last year they donated half a pallet of invert syrup returned for disposal as it had gone past the BBE date.
There's also the annual dividend cheque :D

Just a reminder that I opened this thread to let people know that if they don't have a helpful local bakery ( as i do not yet) nor have access to the likes of Bako then there are alternatives as I posted up.

My nearest towns are all 9 miles away and the nearest city is an hours drive each way so home delivery is handy to say the least and a convenience I am happy to pay for.

PH

For anyone living in Northern Ireland I got a price from Andrews Ingredients in Lisburn who are a bakery supplier. 12.5kg for £11.44 collected. (Usually a minimum order of £150 but beeks are exempt.)

Just a reminder that I opened this thread to let people know that if they don't have a helpful local bakery ( as i do not yet) nor have access to the likes of Bako then there are alternatives as I posted up.

My nearest towns are all 9 miles away and the nearest city is an hours drive each way so home delivery is handy to say the least and a convenience I am happy to pay for.

PH
Leave them to it PH, you can't escape the 'know it all Victor Meldrew'... :icon_204-2:

Each Bako depot is independent of the rest and it's up to each manager what they charge, most also have a minimum purchase amount although some managers will sell you below that minimum using their own personal account and add a markup.
The manager with us works on a low profit margin/high turnover basis, we paid less than £8.00 a box this year and last year they donated half a pallet of invert syrup returned for disposal as it had gone past the BBE date.
There's also the annual dividend cheque :D

Mine is an online account with BACO. Do others not order online?

Mine is an online account with BACO. Do others not order online?

You cant haggle if you order online.

Also, I am not a member but you can order once a year without joining.

Maybe they can offer good rates for non members?

We get ours through the association, it comes at around £1.30/kg

I suspect your association aren't haggling hard enough (or are making a neat profit themselves from the deal). I split half a pallet with a friend this winter and, delivered, it was £10.55 for 12.5kg. Ordered by phone and haggled by phone.

When my association bought it - multiple pallets - it was about £9.50 a block and that included a markup for the association. Sugar hasn't changed that much in price since then.

I suspect your association aren't haggling hard enough (or are making a neat profit themselves from the deal). I split half a pallet with a friend this winter and, delivered, it was £10.55 for 12.5kg. Ordered by phone and haggled by phone.

When my association bought it - multiple pallets - it was about £9.50 a block and that included a markup for the association. Sugar hasn't changed that much in price since then.

I had to go back in my Hotmail archive to dble check. Sorry, it was 72p /kg... Not sure where I got the £1.30. Then again, I don't usually remember what I did yesterday.

Latest posts

Back