Looking for Fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only on wedding cake.
Hivemaker comment bees invert sugar, why do they do it. "Invertase"

Hivemaker cannot ask so stupid thing!
My answer was correct.
Hivemaker should ask, how they do it, not why.

Last edited:
Question to the autumn fondant feeders -
do the bees store it or use it straight from the block?
And do you top up through the winter or give them a gert big lump. If the latter, how big?

Interested because a few of my stocks have shown little interest in syrup this year. Mostly culprits fairly heavy but not what you would call 'nailed down'

They store it.
12.5kg for starters, then a bit more if they will take it. Most of my colonies this year have had ~16kg. I try and let them finish it all and leave the top bars clear before shutting them up completely.

Edit ... but they're unlikely to take that amount down starting from now.

Last edited:
Thanks Fatshark - very helpful - might try that next year.

Some don't even have the honey off yet and will be feeding considerable quantities of syrup too so no not too late yet.

PH

I have been playing around a bit with syrup, commercially bought fondant and home made fondant. The colonies that have thrived the most from September onwards were the ones on fondant rather than syrup, they've really built up from small late supercedure nucs.

If I put commercial fondant next to home made they seem to prefer the homemade stuff. Which is harder and a lot easier to use so it suits me as well.

Just picked up 12.5kg of fondant for £9 from my local bakers.
Is that fairly typical right now?

Good program
Well done, give them a jar of honey too
E

I make sugar blocks, considerably cheaper than fondant etc. Any left over is converted into syrup for spring feeding.

I make sugar blocks, considerably cheaper than fondant etc. Any left over is converted into syrup for spring feeding.

I made some sugar bricks when sugar was 39p/kg now its 50p/ kg and I can get fondant for 72p/kg (£9.00 for 12.5kg) so not worth the extra effort of making the bricks at the moment.
But I'll continue to keep future options open.

I imagine they need access to a lot of water to process the sugar blocks.

Last edited:
I make sugar blocks, considerably cheaper than fondant

Until you factor in the energyl cost of 'cooking' them. Both heating the stuff up and your time and work processing them.

Called at my local bakers and asked there if they could get me a 12.5kg pack of bakers fondant.

It was £12.08 which is what it cost them.

reasonable - paid less than £8.00 a pack with Bako Wales in the autumn but it all depends on how switched on your local manager is on stock turnover versus individual item profit margin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back