Local Beekeepers Associations !!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_s

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Could forum members please comment on just what benefits are to be derived from joining a local association or club and just what is to be expected from it in terms of support, help, advice and what form this advice should be reasonably expected to be delivered?

Ie at meetings
By phone
By email
By web site
Rumor
Grapevine
Or are we reasonably expected to find the information ourselves ??

There would appear to be a gap in my expectations and the reality , I would value other viewpoints

Thanks

At our local association, information & lectures at monthly meetings and support & advice available from a number of experienced beeks (over the phone and - where necessary & possible - hands-on help). With the rule that "you handle your own bees" ;)

Among other benefits like contacts, bulk buying of sugar, arranging on-site visits from suppliers, organising treatment supplies, etc. Works great for me.

Newbies experiences will vary wildly between associations ! Some branches are very much more pro-active than others . Again some newbies are more pro-active than others .
Some branches are very good at utilising the forward ones whilst drawing out the shier types .
All are volunteers from all walks of life . I know "he/she is only a volunteer" is no excuse for bad service , on the other hand part of the learning curve is to develop the ability to disseminate good advice from bad ?
Developing a rapport with fellow beekeepers is an important element in developing a rapport with honeybees . I have quietly observed over the years that people with an easy philosophical manner tend to make the better bee keeper :) ,whilst people with a demanding ,confrontational approach to the hobby tend to fail miserably !
VM

As a new beekeeper it has been my experience that the networking between beekeepers is vitally important; as important as the networking between bees! Beek associations give advice, reassurance, honey extractor loans, and a chance to answer the millions of questions you have in the first few years. Every association is different; some are more available to their new members than others. The vitally important thing, I think, is for new members to attend meetings, get-togethers, lessons, trading days, exbitions, and offer their volunteering service in exchange for all the advice, support and help. The more of a presence you build by simply being present, and visible, at your association, the more assistance is going to be easier to come by. And it never helps to give a bit of your own time and volunteering back in return.

As a new beekeeper it has been my experience that the networking between beekeepers is vitally important; as important as the networking between bees! Beek associations give advice, reassurance, honey extractor loans, and a chance to answer the millions of questions you have in the first few years. Every association is different; some are more available to their new members than others. The vitally important thing, I think, is for new members to attend meetings, get-togethers, lessons, trading days, exbitions, and offer their volunteering service in exchange for all the advice, support and help. The more of a presence you build by simply being present, and visible, at your association, the more assistance is going to be easier to come by. And it never helps to give a bit of your own time and volunteering back in return.

:iagree:

give time because you want to and enjoy it then anything you get back in terms of advice, support, etc is a bonus to enjoy and appreciate

Two things to say:

- Most of the membership fee you pay to most local associations goes to the BBKA and buys you Public Liability Insurance and the monthly BBKA News magazine. You could regard association meetings, mentoring and advice as being almost a freebie.

- As VM has pointed out, local associations vary in their level of activity. If you find the one you've joined is a bit quiet you can always join an adjacent one as a "non-registered" or "associate" member, which is usually quite cheap.

Could forum members please comment on just what benefits are to be derived from joining a local association or club and just what is to be expected from it in terms of support, help, advice and what form this advice should be reasonably expected to be delivered?

Ie at meetings
By phone
By email
By web site
Rumor
Grapevine
Or are we reasonably expected to find the information ourselves ??

There would appear to be a gap in my expectations and the reality , I would value other viewpoints

Thanks

We have a programme of outdoor apiary visits with beginners and more advanced levels on the same day, indoor talks during the winter, summer BBQ and Christmas meal; beginners' theory and practical course (over six months active season), improvers' course, regular newsletter and emails of useful info.

Spare (free) swarms - list of members wanting them, mentor provision by phone/in person/email, chance to join local bee improvement project, a non-cliquey committee, chance to sell honey on the BKA stall at several large events.

There are times with 200 members that we struggle a bit to fulfil the demands of beginners and improvers but try to stay ahead of the game. The website runs to the BBKA spec plus a bit...a bit limited but work in progress to make it more a focal point for info seekers and who to ask for help when needed.

Some are wonderful, some are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard...... ask around first, and before committing yourself to supporting the BBKA with your money (I for one won't join until all connections with the pesticide industry are finally severed, and there is a root and branch purge of the old guard, and true democracy instituted).
For a long time people have been bludgeoned into joining by claiming it's the only way to get insurance - that is no longer the case, membership of Friends of the Bees http://bit.ly/9ji9tX includes insurance for a lot less

For a long time people have been bludgeoned into joining by claiming it's the only way to get insurance - that is no longer the case, membership of Friends of the Bees http://bit.ly/9ji9tX includes insurance for a lot less

Brief thread hijack on that point - I think there's a european buckfast breeders' association which offers insurance from some German insurer. But presumably only open to members of that buckfast breeders' assoc. Hijack over.

Interesting ...all of that above were mentioned in the recruitment phase , but sadly ............

Last edited:
Expectations of my association? Some support, not a stupid level but some...Reality - naff all, nothing, nada, don't bother us...and arrgghh A FEMALE !!!!!

Don't forget that the active season for beekeeping is usually the inactive season for beekeeping associations - lectures etc. are better held on dark winter nights than (supposedly) sunny summer evenings.

I think the key factor is that everything is done voluntarily, and quite often by people who've been press-ganged by their fellows. In my association we have monthly meetings in the winter, and weekly apiary inspections in the summer. I have always taken every opportunity to ask questions, and have managed to get one or two phone numbers of senior members, who have thereby become my mentors without realising it! I have been co-opted to the committee and taken on some associated stuff, on the basis that as I've made use of other peoples time, it's only fair to pay some back.

I suppose what I'm saying is, make the most of what there is and don't expect too much for nothing, on the basis that some of your fee goes to the bbka, some of it goes on other expenses eg hall hire, but it's very unlikely that any of it goes to any of the people providing help.

I am sure a lot of the associations would 'come up to expectations' if people actually bothered to attend the meetings/demonstrations/talks/meet the beekeeper days that the often small and put upon commitees organise. Time and again people moan about their local association, but expect instant help only when they want it and on their terms. No exchange in terms of keeping the club apiary clear, making tea (AND washing up after!) helping the lecturer with their equipment etc. If people get to know a new person, then a mutual exchange of information and help is much more likely.

As already mentioned as well, the association is only made up of volunteers and other beekeepers just like yourself, so don't expect it to respond like a business.

Meg

I think if YOU help out with the association then help will be there for YOU when you need it.
People do moan about the associations but then when asked to man a stall to promote beekeeping or some other bee day, always seem to have something on so it is left to the core members/committee.
But on the flip side some associations can be very cliquey.
I used to run our association apiary but when asking for help very few offered in the end I gave it up.

I am sure a lot of the associations would 'come up to expectations' if people actually bothered to attend the meetings/demonstrations/talks/meet the beekeeper days that the often small and put upon commitees organise. Time and again people moan about their local association, but expect instant help only when they want it and on their terms. No exchange in terms of keeping the club apiary clear, making tea (AND washing up after!) helping the lecturer with their equipment etc. If people get to know a new person, then a mutual exchange of information and help is much more likely.

As already mentioned as well, the association is only made up of volunteers and other beekeepers just like yourself, so don't expect it to respond like a business.

Meg

:iagree:

Our association runs open apiary's, however due to the weather only 3 went ahead this year, I was expecting to be inundated. Attendances were 6, 9 and 4, disappointing when we have 80 odd members.

Last edited:

Meg

Well said. :iagree:

I think if YOU help out with the association then help will be there for YOU when you need it.
People do moan about the associations but then when asked to man a stall to promote beekeeping or some other bee day, always seem to have something on so it is left to the core members/committee.
But on the flip side some associations can be very cliquey.
I used to run our association apiary but when asking for help very few offered in the end I gave it up.

This I can believe, sadly.

I was lucky to find an association member on the forum who hooked me up with a mentor.
Her help has been invaluable and I've learnt lots already.
She's one of the swarm liaison officers so I've been asked to accompany her on collections and even collected one myself last sat!

Latest posts

Back