Hello from sunny North Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yardarm Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone!

My name is Zara and I am a first-season beekeeper on the beautiful North Devon coast. I have a bee buddy called Adam and we share 4 hives. One is in my garden and three are in a friend's field.

We have had a very steep learning curve and could not have managed it without the support of our local beekeepers association.

To anyone out there considering keeping bees I would say there are two essentials : join your local club and do a proper preparatory course through that club. You will meet lots of knowledgeable people and some who are in the same boat as you. The internet is a great resource but there's absolutely no substitute for being able to call on help and advice from local people who have kept bees in the same area.

The cost of joining is not expensive. The benefits are immense. You'll have a great time but beware - you will have to eat a lot (A LOT) of cake!

After just one season I have the honour of being invited onto our local club's committee to represent the interests of newbies. I am so looking forward to it.

If anyone is down this way and fancies a cuppa and a chat about bees let me know - I'd be happy to show you our hives in warmer weather.

Happy beekeeping, everyone!
Zara

A'gas dynergh

I hear that part of North Devon is to become a new merged parliamentary borough... and thus will become part of Kernow!

Will send you some Native Cornish Black bees!!!!

Yeghes da

Welcome Zara! We are also in Devon, although very close to the border with Cornwall. Holsworthy Beekeepers have a Spring Convention every year in February that is worth going to, interesting talks and loads of beekeepers to chat with.

Welcome Zara! We are also in Devon, although very close to the border with Cornwall. Holsworthy Beekeepers have a Spring Convention every year in February that is worth going to, interesting talks and loads of beekeepers to chat with.
Great. Holsworthy isn't too far away. Would you let me have the date sometime? Thanks Tony

Zara

Welcome along. I'm a first yr beek in the south east. Mine are all tucked up for winter now. Hope this awful weather is giving you a miss.

Welcome along. I'm a first yr beek in the south east. Mine are all tucked up for winter now. Hope this awful weather is giving you a miss.
Hi - thanks for the welcome. The storms hit us really badly & I lay awake fearing for my hives but, apart from being horribly soggy, they were unaffected. The club apiary is inaccessible so we are hoping the hives there are ok.

Glad your hives are all snug over there. Hope they all over-winter well.

Latest posts

Back