list of first stings 2012

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Ok, list your first stings on here for 2012

as the weather cleared around 1:00 i did a quick inspection for damage and added more insulation then went to some out apiaries near St Albans Hertfordshire to finish off my QA dribbling

half way through i went back to the car to get more warm QA syrup and as I was cold I put on jumper under the bee suit

back doing the oxalic suddenly realise that I had a little cold comatose bee trapped inside the suit that is now warm and crawling slowly up my arm under the jumper.......then ouch! before i could kill her

so that is two days better than last year, as it was 1st January for the first sting ( moving hives)

Last edited:
11.00 yesterday morning: almost EXACTLY the same process as MM described! Except the chilled, grumpy bee was on my boot, and I went to tie a loose shoelace...

took several to the neck on the pm of the 1st due to hole in bee suit :rolleyes:

Monday 2/1/12 at about 11.30 am, stung on finger while doing oxalic acid, did not have the "bite" of a mid season sting but still was not pleasant

Early afternoon 1st January ( drizzly rain and overcast ) just taken the roof off a hive to look through the glass crownboard at fondant supplies ( taken half a bag ) and several girls from the hive next door flew out on target practise......... 3 hits to the head.... yes i was stupid as i didn't have my suit on as i thought a quick peek under the roof would be ok...wrong ! now sporting a closed up right eye...Happy New Year !

yes i was stupid as i didn't have my suit on as i thought a quick peek under the roof would be ok

Yes, :iagree:

BTDT. You will learn, eventually - or get more reminders in the future. I still just cover up with hat'n'veil at times and take the risk of the odd sting. Usually get away with it.... None yet, this year, but not gone near a hive as yet; I think it was the fourth of Jan last year - bee trapped up coat sleeve. At least not a closed eye on that occasion.

RAB

Absolutely sting free so far this year, thanks to not going near the hives. Will claim one of the last ones of 2011 though, closed eye throughout new years party

My wife 5 mins ago, i went to feed the bees from hell, one came out and i didnt see it land on me. I got back in the car, and it jumped off me onto the wife and stung her on the hand.

im typing this from the dog house...

Ok 1st January, cleaning some apidea in the garage, bloody WASP appeared from nowhere -- You only realise how useful thumbs are when one is out of action :-(

Today 1230, went up to do an external check on the hive as I noticed there were lots of bees in the garden. Normally I can take a quick peek at the mite tray and a look around from the sides, but I must have outstayed my welcome this time and copped a sting just below the ear, plus an angry follower away from the hive. LOADS of bees bringing back dark orange pollen.

Fisrt sneeky sting : April 08th 2012

Got my first sting of the year yesterday whilst doing the first propper inspection of the year. I was half way through, when one of the little darlings snuck into a fold of my glove extension and scored a direct hit to the radial artery over the left wrist joint. Bah...

Last week - observing a grumpy hive from a relative distance in a graveyard in work chinos and just a borrowed jacket while two others in full kit manipulated them and... one climbed my leg, past my chelsea boots and ping - got me!

Seems I'm rarely stung by my own bees (zero last year if I recall correctly) but others' bees get me every time usually 'cos of being complacent.

R2

Discussions about getting stung always remind me of the stupid mutt I once had. Other than 'what to do with wasps' he was actually very smart.

He picked up a wasp and got stung several times in his mouth. He wasn't bright enough to open his mouth to get rid of the wasp. Instead he went over to Mum, put his head on her lap and whimpered for some sympathy. Then he opened his mouth, let the little b*****ger out to sting Mum a few times on the legs.

Once he'd done that he realised how daft he'd been and sat in his box for the rest of the day.

That's terrible, do you react like that in other places? Hands, arms, ankles and so on?

First sting of the year for me was 2 or 3 weeks ago I think, notched up about 40 since then I reckon.

Chris

Latest posts

Back