list of first stings 2012

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
due to latest sting reacting badly went on the look out for antihistimes, found the galpharm 14 pill packs for sale at a shop called 'savers' at 89p last time quoted on here at £1.99 so have dropped alot.

Helped to change some floors with a friend, had about a dozen on both hands, no gloves on at the time!!!!

Around ten days/two weeks ago, three to the left thumb through nitriles. One since. Minor reaction to the first one, zero to the other three. Long may it continue.

Mind, I always wear at least a bee farmer veil in the apiary all weathers, whatever. I had two stings to the back of the head once and felt cr*p for three days.

:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004Just one to the marigold last week - lucky or what!

5 days ago, walked over to the beehives, thinking bugger, thats a lot of bee's buzzing about they aren't thinking of swarming are they?

got withing 5ft, thinking mmMM their a bit aggressive and Then seeing the the qeen wasp crawling across the front of a hive above the entrance...(the brain engaged... around the words Oh s$%£t) left my mouth a split second before bang and a hit straight on the wrist joint (ouch! )... :rolleyes:

Today....lifted the roof, and the cover over the feeder hole was not tight, waffled around trying to get the bee out before putting the roof back on and got stung right between the eyes. The soles of my feet are intensely itchy now while I'm writing this!

I posted on this thread a couple of days ago, since then the whole of my face swelled up like a football, so much I couldn't open my eyes. The question is, if I had taken anti-histamines just after being stung would I have not have had such a bad reaction? I'm not a fussy type person when it comes to stings etc, but this had me a little bit worried! Intensely itchy all over, red weals on arms, blotchy etc. The anti-histamines I have now are Loratidine.

Not sure Suzi Q If they work or not but "I think" they do and always take one if its what I call a proper sting. Through the gloves I don't bother.
I definitely know the quicker you get the sting out the less impact the venom has on you, but of course you can't always see the sting let alone remove it.

Also while on the subject while inspecting other beekeepers hives, I never trust them. Although I can inspect with no gloves on at home, it very much depends on the weather at the time. So always max protection when at an out Apiary.

I have been reading recently on this forum that there is a theory that your bees know you, or maybe your body odour? My girls certainly put up with me taking many hundreds of Photos even with flash. But they do not like the camera much, too many electronics probably. Anyway I ramble.
Cheers Bob.

I posted on this thread a couple of days ago, since then the whole of my face swelled up like a football, so much I couldn't open my eyes. The question is, if I had taken anti-histamines just after being stung would I have not have had such a bad reaction? I'm not a fussy type person when it comes to stings etc, but this had me a little bit worried! Intensely itchy all over, red weals on arms, blotchy etc. The anti-histamines I have now are Loratidine.

Fairly common reaction when being stung on the face. Anti-histamenes may have helped if taken soon after but I believe they are more effective if taken before, eg if going to a particularly nasty colony with guaranteed kamakazi guards. Probably wouldnt have stopped you making an elephant man impersonation though. and do make you drowsy

Hi Suzie Q, my Chris took the antihistamines after he was stung and his face swelled up twice the usual size and it's the first time I've seem him react to a sting like that!

Always take antihistamines BEFORE an inspection - stable door and all that. Seems to negate any reaction even with multiple stings (at a friend's apiary, I add!) Come to think of it if I'm stung it's always elsewhere - another snippet of evidence for 'your own bees know you'.

Today....lifted the roof, and the cover over the feeder hole was not tight, waffled around trying to get the bee out before putting the roof back on and got stung right between the eyes. The soles of my feet are intensely itchy now while I'm writing this!

Always take antihistamines BEFORE an inspection - stable door and all that. Seems to negate any reaction even with multiple stings (at a friend's apiary, I add!) Come to think of it if I'm stung it's always elsewhere - another snippet of evidence for 'your own bees know you'.

Always WEAR A VEIL in and near the apiary....then it's much harder to get stung on the face in the first place. It's worth having a cheap version of a bee farmers' vest for the can't be bothered to suit up moods. A sting IN the eye can blind. Not worth the risk.

Chris had been suited up, these were when the bees decided they didn't like us gardening! Now seem much quieter, as the queen is in full lay!

Hi Chris 58, because I was stung in the centre of the forehead just above the eyes, both of my eyes looked like that. Anti-histamines have not worked, and regret taking them. Maybe would have been different if I had taken them, as advised, before or just after being stung, but pointless a day later. Lesson well and truly learned, I knew this hive wouldn't tolerate me poking my unveiled head into the hive. The only thing I can say is I didn't know the cover over the feeder hole was loose. Will invest in a hat and veil since I'm generally in the 'can't be bothered to suit up mood', except when doing a full inspection. Why are life's lessons so bloody painful!

Hi Chris 58, because I was stung in the centre of the forehead just above the eyes, both of my eyes looked like that. Anti-histamines have not worked, and regret taking them. Maybe would have been different if I had taken them, as advised, before or just after being stung, but pointless a day later. Lesson well and truly learned, I knew this hive wouldn't tolerate me poking my unveiled head into the hive. The only thing I can say is I didn't know the cover over the feeder hole was loose. Will invest in a hat and veil since I'm generally in the 'can't be bothered to suit up mood', except when doing a full inspection. Why are life's lessons so bloody painful!

What difference does it make whether the feed hole is blocked or not...kick the hive stand leg or drop the fondant and they'll be out the front.

Always wear a veil. UK bees are a right mish-mash of sub-species and temperaments. Not worth the risk.

One little bee inside the veil resulting in full on sting to neck
Took me a whilemto close up and batt the others off so couldnt get sting out for a good ten mins
Swollen itchy eyes so resorted to piriton
1 hr later and still swelling up...
Can just about see to type
Took a load of honey off last week so guess it was payback time

inspecting bees two weeks ago just useing smock had small hole in jeans couldnt evan get little finger in youve guest ouch on the sack problem was had hive two broods and 4 supers in bits had to keep going splenty of smoke in the area to deter others and keeping my legs together to cover the hole quickley put the hive back together walked away like john inman of are you being served

OH got stung 10 days ago - but just about back to normal - I got stung on the finger on the same day - but I had the camera!!

are ther differant degrees of sting as i have had one on my leg through trouses,( 2 june) i was left with a small red pach nothing elce, but others seem to get alot more pain followed by swelling itching ect, im not tough so beleve me i would skwalk :eek: if it hurt and look for lots of simpathy from him ;)

Back