LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just extracted a lot of lime honey - very pale with a greenish tinge. To me it tastes strongly of mint, but my wife thinks I am imagining it. I hope there is a market for toothpaste flavour honey.....
Yep honey which is almost all lime definitely tastes of toothpaste! But not in a bad way!

Lime flower aroma becoming rather faint but a couple of trees still being worked. Still a little bramble but receiving skant attention. Just hoping the white clover will become more interesting - plently under the nearby solar panels.
Our lime was completely finished a couple of weeks ago. I’m surprised yours is still going as would have thought ours here in Cumbria would be later than yours down there. Are there different varieties that flower at different times?

Our lime was completely finished a couple of weeks ago. I’m surprised yours is still going as would have thought ours here in Cumbria would be later than yours down there. Are there different varieties that flower at different times?
The small leaf lime usually flowers a bit later. Although where I am those have finished last week.

The small leaf lime usually flowers a bit later. Although where I am those have finished last week.
Yes. My lime avenue is all small leaf limes (Tilia Cordata) planted about thirty years ago by our local council. The aroma of lime flower is just on one tree and now becoming very faint. Still a hum of insects around it however!

This was my first box of Lime this season. There must have been a heck of a flow - I'd filled the box with mostly new frames and foundation just to get them drawn out before spacing them properly. In about 10 days, they'd drawn them out, filled them up and capped them off. I'm saving the very white cappings to make a candle for our honey show.

Attachments

• IMG_5656.jpg
    IMG_5656.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
This was my first box of Lime this season. There must have been a heck of a flow - I'd filled the box with mostly new frames and foundation just to get them drawn out before spacing them properly. In about 10 days, they'd drawn them out, filled them up and capped them off. I'm saving the very white cappings to make a candle for our honey show.
When the lime flows it flows like water. Make the most of it, once in a blue moon I reckon:nopity:

Never!! lime honey doesn’t make your teeth fall out it’s the bloody cane/beet sugar that does that horrible stuff 😁
This could make a good opening post for an independent thread but probably best not to...

different varieties that flower at different times?
Yes. Book that tells the full story is Plants & Beekeeping by Frank Howes (Faber,1945 & 1979) which has six pages of lime detail. The book was beautifully written and so good that William Kirk incorporated much of it into his book Plants & Bees (IBRA, 2012).

Flowering of different species in the 1940s at Kew (Howes was an entomologist there) started in early June and ended in mid-August, and a neat little chart gives detail. The 1979 edition lacks the photos of the first.

Latest posts

Back