Lemon juice %

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoanui

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
I was watching several Youtube videos about making sugar syrup and in one the guy said that the amount of lemon juice had to be accurate but he didn't say what the ratio/percentage is. Can anyone help me out with this, please?

I was watching several Youtube videos about making sugar syrup and in one the guy said that the amount of lemon juice had to be accurate but he didn't say what the ratio/percentage is. Can anyone help me out with this, please?

Zero %.

You may instead want to research HMF formation and its toxicity to bees.

Last edited:
Oh God, OK, thank you for that I had no idea. Which enzyme would you use for inverting the syrup then?

The bees use the enzyme invertase, so best left to them unless you are a sweet manufacturer , brewer or chemist and can get hold of invertase ( it is used to make the soft centers in fondant chocolates)

Now is it 5-hydroxymethylfurfural or 5-hydroxymethylfurfuraldehyde, i never worked why some papers say the first but others the latter

Last edited:
... Which enzyme would you use for inverting the syrup then?

If you want to feed invert sugars, then as JBM says, the simple thing is to buy one of the specially-prepared invert bee-syrups, such as Ambrosia.
Most beek-shops (and many commercial beekeepers) are prepared to 'retail' small quantities. As a price guide, take £1.25/kg as a rough estimate.

2 pounds white sugar to a pint of hot water makes a standard autumn feed syrup. (62% sugar, nearly saturated.)
However, the bees will take Ambrosia (and rival products) later and faster. (Inverted, more sugar can dissolve, so it is stronger (73% sugars) meaning the bees have less evaporation to do.) Well worth having some invert syrup on hand in case you find that they aren't taking it fast enough and the season is changing. It stores perfectly from year to year - no need for any wastage.

There are rather a lot of other threads on this subject!
Some argue it isn't "necessary". That depends on how much you need to feed and how quickly.
The expense is a trivial part of beekeeping!

Ask Finman.

heh heh.. what I know about bee feeding?

I know that one box hive takes sugar syrup in in 2 days, but capping the stores takes 1-2 weeks time.

Should it go faster?

It is like James Bond. He is allways late, because he should start earlier.

For example James must wake up when bad guys are braking the hotell door. If James would go into bed earlier, he could wake up in peace and robbers do not need to come to pick him and brake hotell doors. And James would not need to go thought the window in a hurry only wearing his pants.

- But as we know, many things would stay undone if we do not have last moments in use.

- Well planned is half done and often things will stay at that stage.

Last edited:
Just on 3 litres of purest tap water to 5 kg white granulated sugar ( £3.99 a bag from TESCO) and you will not go wrong................

IGNORE all the hype about inverted sugar products... just a marketing initiative to make the makers of Ambrosia an the like a massive profit from us poor hard up beekeeperers!!

heh heh.. what I know about bee feeding?

I know that one box hive takes sugar syrup in in 2 days, but capping the stores takes 1-2 weeks time.

Should it go faster?

It is like James Bond. He is allways late, because he should start earlier.

For example James must wake up when bad guys are braking the hotell door. If James would go into bed earlier, he could wake up in peace and robbers do not need to come brake hotell doors. And James would not need to go thought the window in a hurry only wearing his pants.

- But as we know, many things would stay undone if we do not have last moments in use.

- Well planned is half done and often things will stay at that stage.

He is a fictional character..... but he always comes on time ( ask Miss Moneypenny!)

Last edited:
Ah - but Bond being the great lover

I suppose that Russian lady agents have been allways iniators because James is too tired or too slow to suggest...

where heck is James?

James-Bond_1370889c.jpg

Last edited:
Back