Left overs after extracting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Hello all what do you all do after extracting your honey, ie with your extractor and buckets, I have been told to leave them out near my bees and they will clean them out but I think it will attract wasps etc, what do you all do

Wouldn't that encourage robbing? I use hot and cold water for the extractor, and the buckets go in the dishwasher.

Wash out with cold water and use the washings for the basis of your mead. ;)

PH

I have been told to leave them out near my bees and they will clean them out but I think it will attract wasps etc, what do you all do

That's the quickest way to spread any diseases you might have!

Don't please.

Before washing, leave the extractor overnight, slightly tilted so any remaining honey can accumulate at the tap. You might be surprised at how much extra you can get, a pound or even two perhaps.

Hello all what do you all do after extracting your honey, ie with your extractor and buckets, I have been told to leave them out near my bees and they will clean them out but I think it will attract wasps etc, what do you all do

You're right about it attracting wasps, but the possibility of gathering honey instead of nectar is likely to stimulate robbing as well.

There has been a thread (probably still running), with a map showing EFB and AFB outbreaks. You would not be wanting any bees, from the sites marked on the map, visiting your extractor and possibly passing those diseases to your's and others' bees?

RAB

Latest posts

Back