leaky extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fincaazul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have an extractor, stainless steel 9 frame radial new this season. First use resulted in seepage from joint between base and side. Seller refunded 20% of purchase price without question, perhaps I was not only one with this problem. How can I seal this leaky joint using food grade material and at a reasonable cost?

Food grade silicone sealant at about £4 a tube from Toolstation etc. is probably the best bet, although these sealants do contain an ant-fungal ingredient. Alternatively, just heat the faulty seam a little and run some melted beeswax into it. The wax will last a long time unless you wash it with hot water above 60 degrees C. Even then it can be easily renewed.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
take it to a local friendly steel fabricator, they'll TIG weld it for you, prob cost a couple of jars of honey.

You can buy food grade solder for stainless steel, lead free obviously, I have one in for repair at the moment (Th***es electric extractor)

take it to a local friendly steel fabricator, they'll TIG weld it for you, prob cost a couple of jars of honey.

Absolutely :iagree: Permanent and then there would not be another failure.

Aye Jim but most of us dinna have welders at work...

Look for a local blacksmith and get him to sort it.

Damn poor quality though. I agree that as it was unfit for service it should have been considerably more of a refund... Name the vendor?

PH

Look for a local blacksmith and get him to sort it.

More practical might be a local garage.

The bees wax was a good top tip

Always make out you are doing the seller a "favour" by "putting up with" the item rather them going to all the trouble of collecting the item to replace it for you.

Last edited:
I would never trust a garage to weld.. they are motor mechs.

A blacksmith as another story altogether.

PH

I would have asked for 30-40% back and then taken it in to work for welding:hat:

Surely not fit for purpose? Retailer is responsible, sale of goods etc..... :)

Latest posts

Back