Late Summer Split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have 3 hives in row next to each other. I'm at 1000 meters and the season is definitely over. The first hive has experienced massive raiding which has thoroughly decimated the colony, despite all efforts to stop the raiding. The queen is still alive, but most of the colony is gone. there is a bit of brood (not much) and the food supply has been exhausted. The other two hives are doing well. It is now mid-August and I'm wondering if I can't make a split from the two strong hives to re-populate the first hive. The question is: (1) is this feasible in mid-August and (2) how to go about doing this split. Any advice from others who have attempted this successfully would be greatly appreciated.

If you split your strong hives, you are likely to perpetuate more robbing.

At 150m above sealevel on the edge of the Peak District, I make no more nucs after 1st week August as wasps and bees will rob any weak colony out..
Been there done it. lost nucs.

Your two strong colonies are probably strong partially because they have robbed your weak one...

I have 3 hives in row next to each other. I'm at 1000 meters and the season is definitely over. The first hive has experienced massive raiding which has thoroughly decimated the colony, despite all efforts to stop the raiding. The queen is still alive, but most of the colony is gone. there is a bit of brood (not much) and the food supply has been exhausted. The other two hives are doing well. It is now mid-August and I'm wondering if I can't make a split from the two strong hives to re-populate the first hive. The question is: (1) is this feasible in mid-August and (2) how to go about doing this split. Any advice from others who have attempted this successfully would be greatly appreciated.
2 Strong colonies willalways be better tnan 3 weaker ones. I'd concentrate on getting the 2 good ones through the winter.

Yep.

Raided by what, David?

Stick the remains of the third into a poly nuc and reduce the entrance to one bee space. Close up in the evening and move it three miles away to a friend's garden for a month.

From time to time add a frame of sealed brood from one of the other two colonies. Feed the nuc after dusk when wasps have stopped flying.

Yep.

Raided by what, David?

Stick the remains of the third into a poly nuc and reduce the entrance to one bee space. Close up in the evening and move it three miles away to a friend's garden for a month.

From time to time add a frame of sealed brood from one of the other two colonies. Feed the nuc after dusk when wasps have stopped flying.

Raided mostly by other bees, but I did see a couple of wasps the other day. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back