Landing Board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
I have seen the bracket that Thorne use on their landing board that crews to a floor, has anyone here made a similar bracket, I am thinking of using the same sort of fitting.

underfloor entrances so don't need landing board, anyhow - bees don't need them - don't often get then on trees do you? :)
You certainly do not Jenky but you do however get a big fat tree trunk for them to land on and climb up.:rolleyes:
They may not need them but when the days are warm my landing strip is full of bees walking in and out.

I've not seen this bracket spoken of. Any sensible solution is the way to go. My underfloor entrances have a landing board - they are Dartingtons. I've never yet seen a full width entrance being overloaded with transiting bees. Never.

To be honest, I've never yet seen a landing board fixed to a feral colony entrance either, but they seem to cope easily.

I hope to make something like these myself. The Thornes ones look like stainless, but I hope to use either flat galvanised strip or aluminium angle section with about an inch cut from one side at the end which would overlap the outside end of the floor. Drill two holes in the overlapped end to attach with screws.

Seems we have to face criticism on every post, so here's my reason.....

I want a landing board on at least one of my hives simply because I like watch the bees come and go and they easier to see, video and photograph. I can spot the pollen easier and also get a better look at what they throw out of the hive, before it falls on the ground.

I hope to make something like these myself. The Thornes ones look like stainless, but I hope to use either flat galvanised strip or aluminium angle section with about an inch cut from one side at the end which would overlap the outside end of the floor. Drill two holes in the overlapped end to attach with screws.

Seems we have to face criticism on every post, so here's my reason.....

I want a landing board on at least one of my hives simply because I like watch the bees come and go and they easier to see, video and photograph. I can spot the pollen easier and also get a better look at what they throw out of the hive, before it falls on the ground.

If you look at their website you will clearly see the bracket.

Of course they don't need a landing board, but like many I like watching the bees on their way in.

They don't need to give me honey either, but they do!

Just plane a piece of 32mm timber (to give a slope so water runs off), three screws (waits for obvious comments), job done, £7.00 saved.

Simon

Attachments

• DSC_0204.jpg
    DSC_0204.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 59
Of course they don't need a landing board, but like many I like watching the bees on their way in.

Just plane a piece of 32mm timber (to give a slope so water runs off), three screws (waits for obvious comments), job done, £7.00 saved.

Simon

Simple is best

what? they leave it on the landing board in little jars for you? I think you'll find that you take the honey the bees have little choice in the matter :D

Latest posts

Back