Lacking honey tap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngyoungs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
More than 4
I have a polythene bucket which has a nylon gate tap on it which leaks, not from the seal where it joins the bucket, but the tap itself. The hinge nut and the wing closure nut are done up at tightly as possible, but there is still a slow leak. any ideas?

I have a polythene bucket which has a nylon gate tap on it which leaks, not from the seal where it joins the bucket, but the tap itself. The hinge nut and the wing closure nut are done up at tightly as possible, but there is still a slow leak. any ideas?

Replace tap
valve face is probably warped

James

Yep get a stainless steel one. All the plastic ones i have used have the same problem

There should be a gasket of some sort for the gate to seal against. try taking that out and turn it round to see if it's got worn on one face. Overtightening can cause it to flatten. Might work, might not. If no, you'll need to buy a new one, the stainless steel ones are best.

young

If it's the standard hexagonal type with a black gasket - experiment with re-seating the hexagonal hinge plastic bolt into the shaped reset casing.....hard to explain but I bet that's where your problem is.....

I've had the same plastic honey valve on my extractor for years. Never given trouble.

Your problem is either a cheap, low quality valve or the O ring.

Last edited:
Cheap buckets come with cheap valves.....generally.
I'd replace the valve. Honey leaks out silently

Thanks all, sounds like a possible fix with a better chance of repair being to replace with a new one. Also thanks for understanding the title to the thread. I can only blame text auto replace and poor eyesight!!

'O ring'

thank you Oliver, I knew gasket was the wrong term.....

I bought mine from "Steele and Brodie" who were the top class equipment suppliers over twenty years ago and had the same problem as the OP. I phoned them for advice - they said it was a common problem and explained how the hinge plastic bolt has to be set correctly.

Latest posts

Back