L.C.P. euthanasia by any other name?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onymee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have no problem with euthanasia. I have animals and occasionally have had to have one 'put to sleep'. I stay with them and know that it is a fast, fear and pain free death.
So, why, when it comes to humans, is it deemed acceptable to cause suffering by withdrawing food and water and allowing the person to go mad with thirst, even if they are too weak to make anyone aware of their suffering? WHy do we allow this to happen yet if we used this method of killing on an old dog, we would be (rightly) prosecuted by the RSPCA and shunned by our neighbours?
My late father told me about his late father who had lung cancer as a result of being gassed during the 1st world war (the same gas attack which killed Grandad's brother). Apparently, as things got bad and it was obvious that he would not recover and the morphine was no longer controlling the pain proberly and he was slowly suffocating and breathing became a real effort (and I know exactly how that felt), Grandma begged the doctor to end his suffering. Grandma had had dogs all her life so thought the same about these things as I do (and as my late father also thought). The doctor went upstairs and came down some time later and told the family to go and be with him as he had little time left. He said upon leaving the house "make sure that you call mefor the death certificate.There must not be a post mortem, do you understand?". Dad was 18 at the time and was there and I have no reason to disbelieve him. There has also been speculation that the Queen's late father was 'helped' in order that his death could be announced in the morning papers.
So, when, as humane beings, we realise that our animals should not be allowed to suffer before they die, do we as humans, decide that at the end of a human life, there should be as much suffering as possible?
Is it because the church is poking it's nose in and influencing laws? (since when have fairy stories got any sway with lawmakers?) or because doctors do not want to take life because they are squeamish?

What would you do if, due to age, infirmity or anything else, life became unbearable and in your on mind, not worth living?

Move to Switzerland
;)

only if I have a spare £10,000. No thanks, I want to die in my country of birth, with the feel of good English soil beneath my body and with English sunshine/rain/wind on my face.Then be planted upright with a tree on my head.

It is all about informed consent I think. For example, people can make a decision they do not want to be resuscitated if they become seriously ill and suffer a heart attack. But unless the doctors and nurses have that bit of paper they must try and resuscitate the patient. The argument is it is not their decision who should die and without a directive from the patient then they must try their best.

What we don't have is a similar declaration the terminally or potentially terminally ill can sign which would read along the lines - "if I am dying and in great pain please give me a lethal injection" - or words to that effect.

My wife worked with MacMillan nursing for a while and treated a lot of terminally ill patients. Some will fight to the end to stay alive as long as possible, others switch off.

For those who don't know medical "morphine" is also known as Heroin. Exactly the same stuff but they don't call it that because of the stigma the drug has. Stongerst known pain killer.

On a much lighter note, my wife and I were talking about tattoos the other day and she suggested that before anyone had a proper tattoo they should have the words "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed across their chest.

I detect a decidedly "Daily Mail" misrepresentation of the facts about the Liverpool Care Pathway - "So, why, when it comes to humans, is it deemed acceptable to cause suffering by withdrawing food and water and allowing the person to go mad with thirst, even if they are too weak to make anyone aware of their suffering?" - is grossly untrue - how do I know? - because a few weeks ago I had to make the choice for my mother, and with the help of the doctors and Macmillan staff decided it was the best course for her, not least based on "what would you do if she were your mum?".........
As it was explained to me, she was dying, her body systems were closing down one by one, and all sorts of unpleasant things were going on - at her stage of illness, she didn't need any nutrition, her system couldn't deal with it - it couldn't even deal with fluids, they were "going to all the wrong places", and collecting in her lungs, or pooling beneath her skin - her "time had come" and we could have chosen to prolong her agony, but decided to let her die with dignity, in her own time - which she did a few days later - she never suffered hunger or thirst, was kept pain-free, and if I had to make the decision over again, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing.

The Daily Mail is for the partially bewildered or totally braindead, is apparently written by the similarly afflicted and I find their articles on the LCP to be sick and sad in the extreme - noone wants to ever be faced with such a choice, and to grossly misrepresent the facts as they do could place an intolerable burden and guilt-trip on those faced with the hard choice I had to make - I'd horsewhip the b*ggers!

Last edited:
It is all about informed consent I think. For example, people can make a decision they do not want to be resuscitated if they become seriously ill and suffer a heart attack. But unless the doctors and nurses have that bit of paper they must try and resuscitate the patient. The argument is it is not their decision who should die and without a directive from the patient then they must try their best.

What we don't have is a similar declaration the terminally or potentially terminally ill can sign which would read along the lines - "if I am dying and in great pain please give me a lethal injection" - or words to that effect.

My wife worked with MacMillan nursing for a while and treated a lot of terminally ill patients. Some will fight to the end to stay alive as long as possible, others switch off.

For those who don't know medical "morphine" is also known as Heroin. Exactly the same stuff but they don't call it that because of the stigma the drug has. Stongest known pain killer.

On a much lighter note, my wife and I were talking about tattoos the other day and she suggested that before anyone had a proper tattoo they should have the words "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed across their chest.

your wife will also know that there comes a point where the morphine no longer controls the pain. I planned on having "please use this body for spare parts" tattooed on me, but I'm not sure they'd take any notice in case my next of kin (adult son) would agree. I hope he would.

Are you going to donate your eyebrows for research?

Are you going to donate your eyebrows for research?

oh noooo, they will be donated to the Victoria and Albert museum. They've expressed an interest as it is thought that little fat Victoria had some just like them which was the reason Albert fell in love with her at first sight.Sadly, they didn't realise this way back then and the Royal eyebrows were lost to history. I understand that they are to be a special exhibit in a small room where they will be artificially activated. There is to be a team of therapists on hand to help any affected humans who watch them and are overcome with lust at the sight of them fluttering.
Having eyebrows like mine are a very great responsibility you know.:paparazzi:

Is it inherited, onymee?
Handed down on the female side?

Is it inherited, onymee?
Handed down on the female side?

nobody is sure. My Dad had them apparently (much to the annoyance of my mother), my brother has them and I have them. It's a curse, it is. However, my son doesn't have them.

Some famous people have them. Remember Roger Moore (the saint?)
They took over my life for a while and I ended up being married 4 times. Now I have to either cover them with a low hat, sticky plasters or wear a burkha when I leave the house unless I want to end up being pestered by lovelorn chaps leaving presents of chocolates and flowers in my mail box the whole time. Yup, it's a veritable curse to have eyebrows such as mine............ :/

Ah well, maybe Superciliousness is not all it's cracked up to be.
BTW I'll have the chocolates if you don't want them...

Latest posts

Back