Jaspers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monarda

House Bee
Reaction score
December tomorrow and my hives are still be visited by the odd wasp, whats the latest date that anyone has seen these little devils in S.E England ?

Here in the South West today I killed a queen that was flying around looking for somewhere to over-winter (she was hovering around my 3 metre rabbit house and there was no way she was going to move in there).

Seems to have been a bumper year for them here, I destroyed 3 nests in our house, all the neighbours have had them and they have been a bit of a nuisance in the apiary.

Here in the South West today I killed a queen that was flying around looking for somewhere to over-winter (she was hovering around my 3 metre rabbit house and there was no way she was going to move in there).

That's a big rabbit!

Is thee from here.. UK area.

Indeed. One particular nest built in a warm East Anglian confectionary factory attic with access to waste carbs would have carried through to a second year had it not been destroyed by a pestie at the end of January.

Couple of years ago they were robbing hives in January here in wales

I’m waiting for the fun of chasing queen wasps around the house soon. Every year they hibernate in my log store, then as the wood comes into the house & sits beside the fire for 2-3 days before burning the wasps wake up and come out to get squashed or chomped by the dog. Not unusual to hit double figures every winter.
As for active not seen any around the hives for weeks now

Last edited:
Still killing 20 to 30 a day with the electrical devices.

I’m waiting for the fun of chasing queen wasps around the house soon. Every year they hibernate in my log store, then as the wood comes into the house & sits beside the fire for 2-3 days before burning the wasps wake up and come out to get squashed or chomped by the dog.

Started here in Suffolk already. They come out of the warmed up wood bucket, and go for the lights.

Latest posts

Back