Jar Labels?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinemedic

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
A bit of idle thinking on my part while I was cranking away on the extractor last night... what do I do about labels for the jars?
So I thought I'd consult the experts not worthy
Suggestions anyone?

Most of the beekeeping suppliers seem to sell them.
I've sent off for mine, from T'orne.
You could design your own - too much faff for me...:rolleyes:

apart from the legal aspect it is very worth while if you are considering selling your honey to have a personal label as it makes you stand out from the crowd.

Whilst I am pleased to say the days of the smudged rubber stamp type of label are mainly behind us, having the same label as others is not an asset.

PH

A bit of idle thinking on my part while I was cranking away on the extractor last night... what do I do about labels for the jars?
Suggestions anyone?

Dangerous question to ask on this forum ...

someone is bound to tell you where to stick 'em!:ack2:

apart from the legal aspect it is very worth while if you are considering selling your honey to have a personal label as it makes you stand out from the crowd.

Whilst I am pleased to say the days of the smudged rubber stamp type of label are mainly behind us, having the same label as others is not an asset.

PH
Agreed (as a previous purchaser and farm shop browser). A professional label looks too much like the mass produced imported stuff in the supermarket. Blocking a county name over the top of an existing label is nowhere near a solution.

Check the produce shelves in an upmarket farm shop, they strive to look 'hand crafted'; hand written script, quirky bottles and bits of gingham on top. There is legal stuff that needs to be a certain size and so on, but I'd consider putting those contact details, size and dates on a smaller back label and reducing the front to a word or two of hand scripted text and a line drawing. Just my opinion, and I won't be on 'the apprentice' any day soon but get the right product in the right packaging in the right place and you can ask a couple of quid extra per jar.

apart from the legal aspect it is very worth while if you are considering selling your honey to have a personal label as it makes you stand out from the crowd.:

:iagree: if you are selling to the public they look a lot more professional and cover all the legal requirements well, If you offer a premium product , then offer professional labels, you can with some suppliers even add your own photo to the label. perhaps your own hives

I was given a master class at the Aviemore trade fair by a marketing guru.

From five feet away is the label clear?

Is it clear what the product actually is.

Can you read the font? Think carefully about looking like hand written, a dangerous line to take.

Is your label legal?

Is your label unique or have you settled for a mass produced county thing?

Your label sells your product. Your label sells your product. Your label sells your product. Your label sells your product.

Nothing else can sell it.

Been there done it and yes I had special labels for my products. Blossom was sliver on blue, Heather was gold on black, and Whisky honey was gold on red. In a foil finish that shone in the light.

PH

I know a chap that changed from high end labels to printing his own. He did a lot of farmers markets and found that people were actually put off by very professional looking labels and preferred simpler ones.

We are just going to get the kids to draw up sticky envelope labels with bee related pictures, but then we will be selling it through the school so everyone will be aware what we are selling and where it comes from.

Any advice on what we should do further?

You have to comply with the law if you are selling it dont get caught out kazz as it will be you that will be liable if the smelly stuff hits the fan

We are just going to get the kids to draw up sticky envelope labels with bee related pictures, but then we will be selling it through the school so everyone will be aware what we are selling and where it comes from.

Any advice on what we should do further?
Put the legal stuff on a small label on the back (check on the big suppliers website for examples). A child's drawing of a bee will be far more attractive at a school sale than anything you or any commercial supplier could do. Good luck, but you won't need it.

I know a chap that changed from high end labels to printing his own. He did a lot of farmers markets and found that people were actually put off by very professional looking labels and preferred simpler ones.

The label needs to sell the brand value... if your brand is "local small producer" then the label needs to convey that.

He changed them and he found he sold more at the farmers markets.

I have to say that purely from a consumer viewpoint I am far more likely to buy something from a market or farm shop that shouts locally made to me, so tend to veer away from what looks to be the usual type of labels found in supermarkets (which I think the usually available ones unfortunately have a tendency to be).

Last edited:
I got my first batch of lables two weeks ago. Opted to buy them from Th**** as then the wording would be the right size to be legal and so would other aspects I might otherwise have missed. My honey is urban and there was a lot of choice but many lables give impression of countryside. A photo of the apiary will be better next time. Only problem - they seem to not always want to stick to the jars, but perhaps I need more practice.

Suggestions anyone?

If you are handy on your computer you can make your own using clip art and then the relevant information. Boxes of labels can be bought from staples. I have printed off a lot this year (optimistic) but havn't yet harvested the honey.
Louise

Back