Ivy in flower

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know its been a topsy turvy summer, but I've got a few ivy flowers out at present. Is this a little early or are we seeing things in this heat (31 degrees today)?

I've been seeing it around this neck of the woods (folkestone) for about a week or so now, but we also have lots of wild clementis in flower too around here and I've seen bees all over this.

Been stripping ivy off oak and hawthorn trees this week and not even any buds on them.

Last edited:
No not here but it buds up for several weeks, perhaps 4 or 5 before actually flowering.

Chris

I only mention it as I use it as a guide as to when to whip off my last supers. All my hives wintered on the stuff and came through OK all but one. Although I accept that ivy is an acquired taste, I've never been too keen. Of course, it would all change for us if we found it contained similar properties to Manuka!!!!!!:rolleyes:

lol ivy honey tastes just as bad as manuka so we have a good start

in times gone by ivy used to be given to cattle for several complaints, usually in the spring
if they after calving or run down ,that was before vets or penicillin. one for some one
with a chemistry degree i would think, all you need is a little smoke and who knows

Bees going mad for the ivy growing on the wall of a neighbours' house here

Not out here yet.

(Kent/Surrey border)

Neither do I, but if we could sell Ivy for what they get for manuka, just imagine how that would transform our craft.

I thought sale of Manuka honey was a PR success?
Tea Tree grows like a weed in NZ so there is a lot of vile tasting honey about.
"What can we do with it? I know, lets promote it as some sort of cure-all"
I think we Brits were the only ones to fall for it.
Mind you, my mother consumed it in industrial quantities and lived twenty years longer than her consultant gave her!

Haven't noticed ivy flowering round here. But my bees are finally drawing and filling the super they've ignored all summer... with a much darker honey than I've seen previously. And they're flying in and out like they mean business. Any ideas what's got them going?

:iagree:
Haven't noticed ivy flowering round here. But my bees are finally drawing and filling the super they've ignored all summer... with a much darker honey than I've seen previously. And they're flying in and out like they mean business. Any ideas what's got them going?

My dark honey is usually from blackberries, we have A LOT down the Thames! I think the bees know summer is almost over and are filling the super as a winter store, mine are doing the same, finally! :)

Back