Ivy honey set in brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scholar bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We had a really warm day yesterday 14°. We decided to have a quick look through the bees to check stores etc. There were lots of bees out flying and bringing dandelion pollen in by the bucket load.

What we found is the outer brood box frames are packed full with capped set honey(like thick jelly) which I presume is ivy.... they were still bringing it in in late November. Will they use it as food? or do I replace the frames with new undrawn and feed? The queens are laying in centre frames but other than the dandelion they don't have stores unless they will eat the ivy.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks. Phil & Maria.

If it’s jelly like it’s likely heather, ivy will be hard white pellets. Try scraping a central area of cappings just bruising the cappings and pushing frames of stores up against the brood area if you want them to use or move now. In the next few weeks if the weather improves you may be better off pushing empty frames up against the brood area rather than full frames, particularly if there is any actual income.

Last edited:
Ian, thanks for your insight. You're right, your description was more like what we found. Plus no Heather around here. At first I saw some uncapped cells of it and thought chalk brood, but on closer inspection it was honey. You think they will eat it if I bruise it. That perfect thanks again 🙂

I find they use it if needed and there’s little income, the set ivy is just like fondant/candy. If there is income then they can be reluctant. I do pull some frames from larger colonies and add to nucs as food frames, they certainly appreciate it. You’ll have to judge if they’re using it or moving it fast enough but scrapping the cappings and pushing up against the brood nest you’ll often next visit find the area laid up.
If you do think they need more space pull a couple of frames and keep as food frames they can be given to nucs or swarms. Balancing space and food is normal beekeeping you’ll have to keep an eye, depending on the traditional variable weather it can be feast or famine in the upcoming weeks.

There’s some out around me but not in quantity and as yet it’s not really warm enough for any income. I posted this earlier but the yellow pollen is all willow I suspect.
View attachment 35490
Yes. Dandelion pollen is orange. Our willow is just starting. Roll on spring.

Have you dandelions out already in Cheshire? Are you sure it’s not willow pollen?
Definately, the paddock from us is starting to breaking out. We are just a mile or two from the Cheshire border.

Last edited:
Definately, the paddock from us is starting to breaking out. We are just a mile or two from the Cheshire border.
However, I dont think the amount is enough for loads to be coming in. Danni is correct to suggest another source.

Yeah im pretty much in the same boat. I went double brood over winter and my top brood box is full of ivy honey! Probably going to replace it with empty frames.

Ok maybe not dandelion then. We just saw the yellow and assumed. Will bruise the comb next time we are in.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

They'll use set ivy honey, but they need a lot of water to re-liquefy it for use. I was doing some gardening yesterday and there were loads out collecting water.
Sowed some phacelia, borage, tomatoes amongst other things - almost as soon as I watered seed trays there were bees finding them and drinking despite plentiful other water sources in the garden.

Mountains of pollen going in too.

When you do use the frames score the cappings thoroughly and spray them with water
Guess spraying with water works then. I must admit it did pass my mind doing that. I have quite a few hives packed with Ivy honey.

Latest posts

Back