It's all very sad

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a lack of suitable habitat is a contributing factor to failure.?

The odd swarm have been getting hung up in trees for years, I doubt it’s lack of habitat as I’ve found more swarms in man made cavities than not. Many even choose man made over more natural settings year after year.

What evidence do you have for that statement?

I would suggest the lack of feral colonies is mostly due to habitat loss and varroa. The bees swarm because they must. It is the prime directive - to reproduce, like any other organism

I said I’m guessing wasn’t making a statement sorry for the confusion. Like others have said there’s probably just as much places to go with all the man made buildings, as a builder that’s where I have always seen them. And like other organisms that produce an abundance of offspring or swarms when success is low they produce high numbers to even the odds take turtles for example lay thousands maybe a few make it

On a side note well done mate for getting them down!

What evidence do you have for that statement?

I would suggest the lack of feral colonies is mostly due to habitat loss and varroa. The bees swarm because they must. It is the prime directive - to reproduce, like any other organism

Tom Seeley came up with the figure that 75% of swarms don't make the following spring with starvation being the cause of death for 95(?)% of them.

Were there more feral colonies in the past, say pre-1990s or earlier.

If so, why? What do those beeks who have been in the game a bit longer than me think?

Have to say, a frame of brood on a long pole does work, for future reference..
Stood on a ladder with the pole, and got it to rest on a nearby branch. Came back later and all bees had moved to the frame... bringing it down was 'interesting' as it was heavy!

Each to their own but maybe trying prevent a swarm may be a good idea?
S
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46936

Don't want a split, don't have anymore equipment and don't want to buy any. As I said in the other thread, I do what I can to encourage the bees to stay but I, like everyone else despite what they say, lose bees via swarms. I am getting on a bit now and climbing around in trees armed with a bucket is not conducive to a long life. Whatever it is I do it works well for the bees as I haven't lost a colony since I started keeping bees four years ago.

I wouldn't be looking after them down there plus one of my colonies requires more bees anyway. But thanks for the thought. :)

What are your thoughts on re-wilding the Lhyner Valley with (native) bees?

I know of several feral colony sites that I monitor from time to time, and they always seem to be occupied... we must all loose the odd swarm and not all of them can possibly be mopped up by local swarm collector?

Chons da

My bees are not AMM's and anyway as I looked today the point is moot as they didn't like their new home and despite penning the queen in for a couple of days they have now absconded so it was all a bit pointless really.

Of course they will need more bees - if you allow them to swarm. Loss of crop, too.

What is wrong with retaining your bees by artificially swarming them? Seems a no-brainer to me.

Of course they will need more bees - if you allow them to swarm. Loss of crop, too.

What is wrong with retaining your bees by artificially swarming them? Seems a no-brainer to me.

As I mentioned; don't have the equipment, don't want to buy any more. I have five colonies, don't want any more. I do what I can with what I have but if they want to go, they want to go, it's what bees do. Also I sell what honey I get but it's not really important to me.

Your next question might be "why do I keep bees?" To which I reply with a question or two. Why do I have a couple of pet rabbits, why do I have dogs? I have a pond that has fish in it and I have to feed and care for them, the same applies to a very large fish tank, with very large fish, I have in the house, but why? Because it gives me pleasure, it is good for the animals I keep and in the case of the rabbits, the dogs and the fish, they have a better home than they would get with someone else who didn't care as much. The bees? They'll go where they think it's best for them but I try to give them what the need until they go.

We all keep bees for different reasons and we have to live and let live even if we think other's methods are odd and unfathomable.

Last edited:
Don't want a split, don't have anymore equipment and don't want to buy any. As I said in the other thread, I do what I can to encourage the bees to stay but I, like everyone else despite what they say, lose bees via swarms. I am getting on a bit now and climbing around in trees armed with a bucket is not conducive to a long life. Whatever it is I do it works well for the bees as I haven't lost a colony since I started keeping bees four years ago.

But how many swarms have departed to the annoyance of others?

But how many swarms have departed to the annoyance of others?

I refer you to my post in another thread with the relevant portion highlighted in red:

It doesn't really matter if they swarm themselves out of existence in my apiary, I have five hives and really only want three so this year I am leaving them to it. I am providing space, varroa treatment as necessary and an isolated place where they can be themselves, if they choose to leave that is their prerogative. I live in a rural area so the chances of them finding a home in a place of public nuisance are low. I'd like to think I am doing them a service by sending them out into the world mostly free of pests and disease in the hope that in a small way I can encourage the growth of wild bee colonies. I have spent the last few years diligently ripping the lid off their world every five to seven days in the Spring and Summer and this year I have started to wonder why I am doing that. It has been said that if you don't have a reason to open a hive then don't do it -- so I haven't. I will check for space and varroa this weekend though then probably leave them alone until harvest time in late July.

I expect my beekeeping will send many into paroxysms but I believe that what I am doing with my bees now follows with my general support of nature in that I have a very large garden, most of which is given over to either meadow flowers or large shrubs and trees -- I have also planted an orchard of sixteen fruit trees. I rarely cut down the nettles in the periphery as they are good for hedgehogs, of which I have many. This year, we have had wrens, crows, blackbirds, bluetits, jackdaws, pigeons and squirrels nesting in our garden (yes, we have a squirrel drey in a pine tree). The bees are one more item of wildlife that I encourage and support but as with all things nature will take it's course and I intend to let it.

You of course will never, ever have lost a swarm, I presume.

Nicely put Shiney!

I have found over the years that swarms of bees are not so much an annoyance or a nuisance to the greater unwashed, that an opportunity for the beekeeper to educate the public as to the "plight" of bees and how they are a part of nature as much as the wildflowers, song birds, rocks streams and mountains.... now I feel like bursting into singing the "Manchester Rambler".....

There are of course belligerent swarm collectors*** who care little for the bees other than a fast buck made from an unwary novice... who it seems just shove their way in, snatch the bees and vanish without so much as a thank you jar of honey!!

Chons da

*** not aimed at any specific individual... but I expect some reading this will take umbridge!!

I would have thought you of all people would have been up in arms at the thought of random bees polluting the genetics of your precious ones!!

I would have thought you of all people would have been up in arms at the thought of random bees polluting the genetics of your precious ones!!

We are several miles from each other. A bigger problem in the intervening area is the European hornet ( or so it appears according to Anthony's brother Richard).

Point I was making is that hoppy likes to take any and every opportunity to have a pop at everyone who doesn't keep AMMs. By letting your non-AMMs swarm, you are releasing them in to the feral population thereby increasing the chance that they will end up in / near anyone's AMM mating apiaries and introduce a bit of rough into the pure breeds. That is why I was surprised that he was supporting your beekeeping style. I have no issue with the way anyone wants to keep bees, unless it becomes detrimental to the health on my own bees. Never had a problem with European Hornets, even with nests close to hives, if the colonies are strong. Fascinating to watch

Latest posts

Back