Is this the swarmiest spring ever?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandydog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
So far this year I have picked up 16 swarms from people getting my number and calling, that doesn’t include 5 I couldn’t get to as they were inside the wall cavity via an air brick, has anybody else noticed this? my own hives are great with no signs of swarming at all, so I can’t fathom where they are all coming from

So far this year I have picked up 16 swarms from people getting my number and calling, that doesn’t include 5 I couldn’t get to as they were inside the wall cavity via an air brick, has anybody else noticed this? my own hives are great with no signs of swarming at all, so I can’t fathom where they are all coming from
Someone asks that question every year 🤔

I stopped the association malarkey years ago, I learned beekeeping a good time back ( had bees on and off for 40 years ) off an old bloke in Kent, joined associations for the insurance and tips they would give, but got fed up with being told I was wrong all the time.
Someone asks that question every year 🤔

Hello John,
I’m sure they do, I can pick up 10 swarms in a season, but with the above and two more call outs today that now puts me up to 23 swarms not including the inevitable bumblebee calls, and we are only 17th may, I am now pretty much out of nucs, I have just ordered some more, so is this isn’t the swarmiest season what’s everybody else’s numbers this year?

Hello John,
I’m sure they do, I can pick up 10 swarms in a season, but with the above and two more call outs today that now puts me up to 23 swarms not including the inevitable bumblebee calls, and we are only 17th may, I am now pretty much out of nucs, I have just ordered some more, so is this isn’t the swarmiest season what’s everybody else’s numbers this year?
The local FB community groups is alive with messages about bees in nesting boxes so I post a link to the bumblebee conservation trust. So far no one has come back for a second go.🙂

The local FB community groups is alive with messages about bees in nesting boxes so I post a link to the bumblebee conservation trust. So far no one has come back for a second go.🙂
John that is a great idea, will save me so much time in phone calls, I try and ask them to send pictures wherever possible, but the pictures are never as clear as you would like

It's possible that the increase in swarms is a knock on effect from lockdown.
Lots of new beekeepers with no experience and no club meetings or club apiary training.

Beekeeping seemed a good hobby to take up during lockdown.
Maybe with lives becoming busy again Beekeeping has been put aside with the bees being left to their own activities.
No inspections resulting in swarming.

Just my thoughts 🤔

picked 4 swarms within 3 hours on Saturday. I said I wasn’t going to do it again after last year where I ended up with some very nasty bees which I’m still dealing with now. They are not pleasurable. Also took a colony off a friend who started during lockdown, never did any training and now come this season couldn’t even open his back door never mind sit out in the garden.

It's possible that the increase in swarms is a knock on effect from lockdown.
Lots of new beekeepers with no experience and no club meetings or club apiary training.

Beekeeping seemed a good hobby to take up during lockdown.
Maybe with lives becoming busy again Beekeeping has been put aside with the bees being left to their own activities.
No inspections resulting in swarming.

Just my thoughts 🤔
Very good thoughts, I don’t mind the odd irritable hive, the end of the season honey crop is always good, because I put off going through the buggers, so I don’t take the honey until the last minute 😀,I think the biggest issue with the aggressive hives is the drones mating with nice friendly queens, years ago I tried Italians, they were a delight, the daughters were nastiest things you ever met.

What puts me off buying from black mountain the queens have to make two journeys … how long have they had in wales …. Buy direct from jolanta

What puts me off buying from black mountain the queens have to make two journeys … how long have they had in wales …. Buy direct from jolanta
They are supplying the trade only, John
(I think a few people with pre existing orders are having them fulfilled as a favour this year.)

I have bought a Queen from black mountain in the past, and I can’t complain, she was good natured and productive and delivery was quick too, I can’t be bothered with the faff of making my own queens as I am getting older and my patience is not what it once was, also I like getting queens from many suppliers as it’s good to experiment, had them from becky’s bees and they were good too

Latest posts

Back