Is there anyone who can help ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This post might not fit in here, if so then I'm sure Admin will let me know and please do, but just in case..........

I am currently out of work and looking to find some. As you will know if you follow our blog I am a keen gardener, bee keeper and allotmenteer who paid for his degree in IT years ago by training to be a chef.

Since then I have worked as a relief chef, a web designer and a pc repair man. I am looking for any work in West Cumbria, or something I can do using all of my skills working from home.

Long shot I know, but if you don't ask then you don't get the breaks. Something that combines all the skills or some, or just one would be great. Of course I am happy to learn new ones as well :)

So to recap I am a time served chef, a web designer, a mulit media graphic and video media designer and an IT support worker who also enjoys working outside in all weathers in a garden. I have 16 years in the Mountain Rescue and so am happy to work on my own in all conditions. I am happy to work from home or somewhere locally.

All ideas greatfully recieved, if this post irritates people then I apologise, but I want to work, can work, and am trying to find it, so in my book I have to try everything I can.

PS I should point out that Tracey and I both use this login here , and this one related just to me, Guy :)

Last edited:
It fits in just fine Gingerbees.
I wish you the very best of luck,and well done for using your initiative.

Your best bet would be to speak to a recruitment agency in your area and talk it through what your skills are and what sort of opportunities are available.

Sorry is not my area so can't suggest any, but google it and it should come up with some.

All ideas greatfully recieved, if this post irritates people then I apologise, but I want to work, can work, and am trying to find it, so in my book I have to try everything I can.

Have you thought of joining the Army.

Not bloody likely.

In my own experience the scattergun approach won't work -it would be better to try and focus your efforts on something you want to do. I agree with cak - try and speak to a recruitment consultant (a proper one!). They can advise you and get your cv onto the right desks. Many employers will only recruit via these companies.

Above all, keep your pecker up! things will turn around eventually.

Good luck mate.

p.s. franchising is another possibility...if you have the cash!

Last edited:

Sorry about this .........but it seems like so many others our dear friend has joined that ever growing army of unemployed
It is indeed a tragedy that so many highly skilled U K citizens are being con ~ demmemed to the dole queue... whilst those that reaped the benefits that caused the current economic disaster are desperately trying to steer this sinking ship Great Britain securely onto the rocks... IMO of course!!

TIN HAT ON !!!!

I know how you feel, I to am struggling to find work, I am managing a few days here and there which keeps the wolves at bay but only just.

I would also suggest the agencys for works.

I would avoid any " professional help/ recruitment consultant " as they charge £500 just to rewrite your email and to send it blindly out to every firm going which puts it in the bin.

if it helps also i am doing on avaerage 30 applications per week every week and have done so for three months now and only had two interviews and loads of " professionals " trying to sell be there products.

the thing is to just keep slogging at it.

I seem to get more intrest by sticking up hand bills and posters and post cards in places that i frequent, library, tescos, asda, etc.

sandwell district council also run a scheme called work force which is basicaly a free to use job agency service which brings a lot of enquiries, maybe something similar near you??

or if need be do as i have done and throw your cv up here to let the others help you out with it, new eyes and all that

So now there are two people on this thread looking for a job are there?

Could try the Navy as well perhaps.

Wrong, but if I was to join the Army and sent into theatre I'd like to think I was fighting for a noble cause...not one based on a pack of lies like Iraq or to prop up a corrupt regime like Afghanistan (which will collapse like a pack of cards as soon as we leave).

Anyway, I'm too old. Back to the plot...

Last edited:
I would also suggest the agencys for works.

Yes 2nd this, I have a good friend who is hardly ever out of work through agencys and often is able to pick and choose.

I wish you good look Gingerbees

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm a bit old for the army otherwise I would have considered it :) ( I'm 40 )

I am with all the agencies up here, but it's very rural and there isn't much going, like Pete, the postcards in the village shops and post offices helps bring some work in but I really need something full time, and hence the post here.

Filling in applications each day and trying everywhere, sometime soon something must work out !
There's not a lot of industry here, and not a huge employer base but I am ever hopefull, thanks everyone

At 40 you should have enough experience to give it a go on your own - nothing ventured nothing gained -- as HP said try getting a few flyers around. Look at vista print for making up postcard sized adds that you can put places - do it for differant sides - ready made meals for the deserning people who dont/wont cook! and web design could fit in together! I dont know go with what you enjoy most - dont do big order with vista print first go off as they always do offers after the first order is in. Or you can just get the business cards - although i would recommend upgradeing the paper quality for the little extra they charge.

Also a really good place to advertise is your local parish mag. We have been suprised by how much response we get from it for a fraction of the price of yellow pages.

So you just need to think how to market yourself! Think there is some funding out there at the moment to help people set up business.

All the best with it whatevery you decied is the right direction

Chimney sweeping?? depends on how many real fire you have in your area - tonns in cornwall and it is something that if you have a fire it needs to be done one of the non luxury essentials.

Mind you window cleaning is a cleaner job"

In view of the chef training would there be any mileage in a business which either supplied as suggested ready made meals or went to peoples houses and catered for special dinner parties etc.

its difficult isn't it, i would love to start producing my own local made preserves, jams and sauces, that I sell at the end of my drive at the moment, but doing it as a business.

BUT you need money to get started and there is where it falls down :(

I guess I just have to keep poking away and looking I'm sure something will come up eventually

BUT you need money to get started and there is where it falls down :(

That's why I suggested the catering in other peoples homes. You use their equipment and therefor don't have much initial outlay.

Incidentally have you come across "Made in Cumbria! http://www.madeincumbria.co.uk/

They take marquees at numerous events and have a strong foodie section of people selling most kinds of product from small starters like yourself to larger more substantial businesses.

MY wife started her business in the early days of Made in Cumbria and at her peak was running 2 jewellery shops. From little acorns and all that, her first sales were key rings at the church sale to raise money for the church.

If you are already making preserves etc it may be worth a look at. Yes there will be competition but I am sure you can find a way to make your product stand out/be different to the rest.

Good luck with what ever you eventually end up doing.

Latest posts

Back