Is Summer over ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Only 7 degrees this morning in my garden and a stiff breeze to chill it further, although clear sunny sky. Girls definitely having a lie in ... no sign of any fliers.

Temperature above the frames is 21.7 degrees though so glad I put the insulation on as this must be helping. Forecast for rest of the week much the same ...

Would appear that is it and I am already thinking twice why I have chosen to stay in the UK. Few fliers here as I would normally see a big line queuing up. Hibernation mode for myself begins.

Well, theres no shortage of drinking water for them in Norwich this morning.
Sun is now coming out though and temperture is creeping up to 10.

Glorious sunshine this morning but I don't think I will take a dip in Caswell Bay but might try a bit of bass fishing of the rocks next week So for me yes the summer is over

Sunny here but only about 9C and a freezing wind. If my bees have any sense they'll stay snuggled up under their Kingspan duvet while comfort eating carbohydrates, pretty much like I intend doing.

Nippy here, too, at 11 degrees and a cold northerly :(
Just waiting for Norton to say how chilly it is there in Cyprus :icon_204-2:

Still a bit chilly here but glorious sunshine - quite a few bees flying though - the hives are in a bit of a sun trap, supposed to warm up a little again apparently

If it doesnt warm up in the next 30 seconds,

I'm putting the central heating on.

The real reason why the temp has dropped is because I have a car booked in for MOT tomorrow and that means that any work will have to be done out in the cold.

My vote is Yes.
So enjoy the sunshine that is left for the snow will not be far away. :)

My vote is Yes.
So enjoy the sunshine that is left for the snow will not be far away. :)

Used to be the snow stopped at Portsdown Hill ... Fareham was marginally sub-tropical by comparison to Waterlooville - sadly, you are bang on if recent years are anything to go by !!

Frankly bloody freezing here in Norfolk with a northerly gusting to 40 mph or more; seen a couple of trees down even. However, I don't know how much you trust weather forecasts more than a couple of days ahead, but there is talk that next week winds are going to swing back round to the South and temps are going to be mid to high teens again.

Though a lot of it has flowered, there is still a lot of closed ivy buds near my hives. Could they last another week and then flower?

Worked nights last night and in again tonight. Spent the shift cwtched up in my fleece wishing I'd brought my woolly hat:nature-smiley-12:

Been in my allotment all pm. Loverly sunshine and pleasantly warm. Our smallest hive was busy bringing back pollen, the larger hive which is in the shade of a fan trained pear tree was quiet. I confess that the allotment is very sheltered from winds and that makes a huge difference to the temperature.
Bryan

As drS. Of course summer is over. It is now autumn. Winter has not yet started but is getting closer by the day. Simple, ennit!

Had a good look at out ivy today (lots of it) some almost over, some not even open.

Would appear that is it and I am already thinking twice why I have chosen to stay in the UK. Few fliers here as I would normally see a big line queuing up. Hibernation mode for myself begins.

No Aussie beekeeping this season ?

I don't thinks summer is over yet. I just popped my head over the apiary fence to see the bees more active than ever. A sea of foraging bees were clearly visible heading down the mountain towards the town, (I did notice the were bringing pollen back as my first thought was they were being robbed).

Latest posts

Back