is it time to feed them?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning all

I havent been able to visit my hives over winter (I broke my leg and couldnt get to them) however i planning to go and see them monday should i take any 2:1 sugar syrup just in case they need feeding? I will only be able to do one trip because im still on crutches.

Thanks

Richard

What state were they in before Winter?
I wouldn't be poking them around just yet, probably drop a bag of fondant into each hive as insurance.

Morning Richard...

Fondant is what you want to be feeding them this time of year.

The various beekeeping supplies companies supply ready made up fondant. Many others make up their own fondant or go and buy 'baker's fondant'.

However, for syrup the weather is still too cold (and unpredictable) to be sure they could take it and process it happily.

If I was you I'd be getting some fondant on asap.

Hope your leg has healed well!

I would take fondant rather than syrup. Only my opinion, but there is still a chance of frosty weather.
The fondant will still be eaten, even if the weather warms up.

Damn, you beat me to it :)

ok then foundant it is

You only need to feed if they need feeding - if they have stores left over from autumn and enough to keep them going there is no need to feed them. I'm not a fan of 'just in case' feeding - I'd far rather see my bees eating their stores rather than tucking in to a slab of fondant.

If you left them light of stores in autumn and they are running low you need to remember that next autumn and either make sure they have enouugh honey left or top them up with syrup then.

Fondant, IMO, is an emergency feed to get the beekeeper who has not provisioned his hives properly in autumn out of the hole they have created. Better to feed than have dead bees but much better to do the job properly in Autumn.

had to move a hive a few inches to one side, they had been out in numbers flying today will some pollen coming in, dam it was heavy, my fault left two un capped supers on it they only recently started with intent on the stores looking at the shower of capping under the hive.
it going to be fun with this one this year :)

That's why I like my deep frames. Make sure they are filled up in the autumn and they will be fine till spring usually with a frame or so to spare

I made a bloomer on this one, had put one partial / uncapped under the brood the second super I put on top a few days later with the intent of moving it down later and yes forgot to do it; weather had turned, whilst standing in the rain though best leave it be not good but it is going to be interesting
up to now it has been very interesting

When you guys add fondant do you smoke the bees away in winter? I haven't needed to yet as I've slid them over by hand.

When you guys add fondant do you smoke the bees away in winter? I haven't needed to yet as I've slid them over by hand.
I don't use smoke at all other than in spring and summer to smoke my gloves and veil when they get angry and start trying to sting me.
Smokers have caused me more problem than enough over the seasons, my bees are much better behaved without it.

The advantage of fondant is you can place directly in contact with the bees which is important when tightly clustered and they can't move to take syrup. So if the hive is very light (or you aren't confident to make the judgement), then this is definitely best. However, if no imminent danger of starvation then a strong syrup is fine and a good healthy colony will have no trouble taking it and storing it during mild spells as at present. Much better to have 3 to 5 good frames of stores in the brood box by the end of March. If the hive is already heavy then don't feed anything except perhaps a thinner syrup to stimulate brooding.

Back