Insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BDI is not part of BBKA.
Your county BKA decides whether to be part of BDI, in the same way it decides whether to be part of BBKA.
The problem is this - if a BKA joins BDI they pay a fee for every single member. There is no individual opt-out.

There are some associations that do have an opt out from BDI insurance, Harrogate and Ripon are direct members of BBKA and have a 'Country Members' category.

Not sure what happens with BBKA capitation for a Country Member but their membership page implies no BBKA 'supplied' insurance for that membership category but it does include BBKA News.

There are some associations that do have an opt out from BDI insurance, Harrogate and Ripon are direct members of BBKA and have a 'Country Members' category.

Not sure what happens with BBKA capitation for a Country Member but their membership page implies no BBKA 'supplied' insurance for that membership category but it does include BBKA News.
The basics of what Chris B said is the case; there appears to be no provision in the BBKA membership categories for individuals who have bees to opt out. It's also the case that the entire association opts in or out, although that may not be a county.

The 'country member' is a category offered elsewhere too. Checking a few online application forms there is often a specific proviso that the member actually keeps no bees, perhaps because they have retired from active keeping. The membership categories (Full, Partnership, Associate and Country) are so identical, they must relate to what the BBKA expects to collect capitation on. I guess it's up to the local committee to choose whether to enforce those restrictions on country membership or not. As long as the member kept their bees distant from any group facilities, I see no reason why the association should care. Their beekeeping could be covered by no more or less insurance than if they were not members. At the other extreme for instance, there is no reason why a bee farmer shouldn't join a local BKA to keep informed about what others are doing locally, participate in any social activity or help with education. Any insurance cover would be out of scope so enforcing payment for no practical benefit would be fraudulent rather than just being poor value.

To add another qualification to Chris B's note, opt outs would depend on the constitution. Some BKAs are effectively a county BKA with local meetings, some are a federation of otherwise independent associations. It is, however the entire association that subscribes not individuals.

We offer to levels of membership:
Full £25 inc BBKA, BDI and all that goes with it.
Associate £12 for those without bees or say they have no bees.

We do have some bee farmers as full members, who provide talks and bulk pricing without the need to buy bulk. BBKA ins and BDI are worthless to them as they should be covered elsewhere.

Russ

Regarding my previous post, it is a PI claim. I will post details once the beekeeper in question has had his day(s) in court or on the doorstep thereto.....

Regarding my previous post, it is a PI claim. I will post details once the beekeeper in question has had his day(s) in court or on the doorstep thereto.....

:biggrinjester:Always thought that Magners apple juice ad would end up with a PI claim!:biggrinjester:

I know of a case against a beekeeper that has been listed to be heard between October and mid November. BBKA insurance is doing its job in this instance.

I think 3rd Party insurance is very much more important than BDI.
It doesn't seem as though colony numbers need to be declared for it though.
Which strikes me as slightly strange. One might think that the risk would increase with increasing numbers of colonies.

To add another qualification to Chris B's note, opt outs would depend on the constitution. Some BKAs are effectively a county BKA with local meetings, some are a federation of otherwise independent associations. It is, however the entire association that subscribes not individuals.

True, you may be able to opt out of paying your BKA, but your BKA can't opt out of including you in the amount payable to BDI Ltd. if you keep bees. From the BDI website:

The shareholders of BDI Ltd are the Member Associations. The minimum payable by each Member Association to BDI Ltd as a condition of membership is a subscription of £2 per annum for each of its beekeeping members. Partner members are each considered as a beekeeper so each is expected to pay a subscription. This subscription not only pays for BDI promotional activities but also includes insurance cover for up to three honey bee colonies. Associate Members, Junior Members and Friends are NOT insured.

So if your registered on bee base, do you have to be with an association and have BDI?

To me BeeBase is far more important than the BDI and would much prefere BKA to enter all memders details as a pre-requisite that way we should catch all colonies when investigating out breaks. And I for one would much prefere to pay for this free service than the BDI....

I think 3rd Party insurance is very much more important than BDI.
It doesn't seem as though colony numbers need to be declared for it though.
Which strikes me as slightly strange. One might think that the risk would increase with increasing numbers of colonies.

The European Buckfast Breeders Association offers comprehensive insurance with premiums based on a sliding scale based on numbers of hives.

To me BeeBase is far more important than the BDI and would much prefere BKA to enter all memders details as a pre-requisite that way we should catch all colonies when investigating out breaks. And I for one would much prefere to pay for this free service than the BDI....

That's be compulsory registration then. Something that a fair numbder of beekeepers wouldn't like.

For the intrest of the greater many I think we shuold register. And we would all be given a bee tag number just help with the liability claims LOL

The European Buckfast Breeders Association offers comprehensive insurance with premiums based on a sliding scale based on numbers of hives.

But what happens if you end up with more colonies than for those you have paid for?
Does this make your policy null and void?

But what happens if you end up with more colonies than for those you have paid for?
Does this make your policy null and void?

It'll be the same as any insurance policy - you will be supposed to inform them of any material changes.

why is it OK for ALL other livestock keepers to need to register BUT for some reasons beeks are a special case.

we are unique in that our livestock is prone to a whole range of "airborne" diseases/pests.

Back