Insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of our members has very recently had EFB in one of her three hives. This hive had to be destroyed by the bee inspector. Unfortunately she also had a swarm in a nuc box. This counts as another hive and the BDI insurance will not pay compensation for her destroyed hive.

I wish this was made this more clear to all the members. Please please pay extra insurance when you increase numbers, and take out extra insurance initially if you think you will take on more. This is especially so if you are collecting swarms, as they all count.

It has been a really swarmy year this year, so if all hives go through the winter we could be faced with even more swarms next year.

One of our members has very recently had EFB in one of her three hives. This hive had to be destroyed by the bee inspector. Unfortunately she also had a swarm in a nuc box. This counts as another hive and the BDI insurance will not pay compensation for her destroyed hive.

I wish this was made this more clear to all the members. Please please pay extra insurance when you increase numbers, and take out extra insurance initially if you think you will take on more. This is especially so if you are collecting swarms, as they all count.

It has been a really swarmy year this year, so if all hives go through the winter we could be faced with even more swarms next year.

Sorry to hear bad news but the BDI cert given to you by your membership sec clearly states in 5th para that " ALL COLONIES MUST BE COVERED"

steve1958
Can I ask why you say there could be more swarms next year because of so many this year.
I can't quite see any link as to why.
Bob.

Please please pay extra insurance when you increase numbers
Or choose not to. Since the BDI cover is actually very poor value. To quote Chris B from a closed thread http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14709&page=5

Stats from 2009:
In England alone the bee inspectors dealt with 584 cases of EFB and 74 AFB.

Over that period BDI paid compensation of £8k nationwide on around 120 cases averaging less than £70 per claim. (Bees are not insured, only lost kit!)

So only around 20% of known foulbrood cases result in a claim, and those claims are chicken feed.

BDI Balance sheet 2009 (abridged)
Beekeeper premiums/subs = £48k
Claims paid = £8k
Admin = £19k (inc. £6k honoraria)
Finance income = £45k (from investments)
Net profit = £65k

The BDI pays only for frames, not bees or boxes. It pays out in only 20% of reported cases and less than £70 per claim. From any financial point of view you are far better off bearing your own losses as they arise. If the BDI fee was not a compulsory part of association membership nobody who can do the sums would pay it. As it is many deliberately under declare their hives because they know that any payment of BDI fees is a waste of money.

Sorry to hear bad news but the BDI cert given to you by your membership sec clearly states in 5th para that " ALL COLONIES MUST BE COVERED"

And you are told that the basic cover is for only three hives!!! No good moaning if you don't read things before you commit yourself and trying to avoid the extra coppers due for extra hives ain't sensible either. No sympathy due.

Last edited:
Or choose not to. Since the BDI cover is actually very poor value. To quote Chris B from a closed thread http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14709&page=5

The BDI pays only for frames, not bees or boxes. It pays out in only 20% of reported cases and less than £70 per claim. From any financial point of view you are far better off bearing your own losses as they arise. If the BDI fee was not a compulsory part of association membership nobody who can do the sums would pay it. As it is many deliberately under declare their hives because they know that any payment of BDI fees is a waste of money.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

ALSO Cheaper to buy a new TV, Microwave, Mobile phone..... etc etc than to pay insurance for repairs, normally not required as equipment covered by manufacturer warranted period??....

... and on beekeepering front... we write off most frames and wax within 3 years.
BDI sold to the newbees and not so canny methinks?

I believe I am not wrong in thinking you can be a BBKA member and opt out of BDI but retain the product liability and third party insurance if this helps you sleep nights !

I will scream at the next phone call I get for missold insurance !

And you are told that the basic cover is for only three hives!!! No good moaning if you don't read things before you commit yourself and trying to avoid the extra coppers due for extra hives ain't sensible either. No sympathy due.

TAD HARSH WHEN YOU THINK THAT THE BBKA ARE ON YOUR SIDE !!!

:nopity:

ALSO Cheaper to buy a new TV, Microwave, Mobile phone..... etc etc than to pay insurance for repairs, normally not required as equipment covered by manufacturer warranted

That's what I told my wife when she paid for an extra year's warranty when she bought a new car. 18 months and a new engine later I admitted that she was right. You don't see many MG Metros around these day.

Since then, we've paid for the extra, and never needed to claim on it.

I will scream at the next phone call I get for missold insurance !

But that's PPI, not extended warranty insurance.​

Our association votes every year whether or not to take out insurance so far it has always been a no vote

National capitation includes BDI for two colonies. Hisses me off that I am paying for nothing. Just pocketed by the company - or is this another back-hander for the BB*A? As soon as I find an alternative, I will discontinue my membership.

National capitation includes BDI for two colonies. Hisses me off that I am paying for nothing. Just pocketed by the company - or is this another back-hander for the BB*A? As soon as I find an alternative, I will discontinue my membership.

join the Bad Beekeeper Club... downside is you have to read Mr T's book !!!:rolleyes:

I join my local association for £20 and as I like to think about it get BBKA membership thrown in for nothing.

steve1958
Can I ask why you say there could be more swarms next year because of so many this year.
I can't quite see any link as to why.
Bob.

Hi Bob,
More swarms next year.
Sorry, I didnt mean more than this year.
Maybe it should say 'Swarms again next year'.

In view of this.
Maybe Swarm Collecting isnt such a good idea after all.
Unless you allow for this when taking out your membership (7 Hives plus a possible 6 swarms) It pushes the cost up a bit.

I think some people will be tempted not tell the Association where all their Bees are.
That way they only need pay for those known about, and then if they are concerned about a Hive and want a Free inspection will move it to their back garden before making the phone call.

This would mean a reduction in the amount of known Hives.
Thus a reduction in monitoring by the Bee Inspector.
Giving an increased risk of disease, which if left unchecked could harm other Bees in the surrounding area.
Not good me thinks.

Also if having gone over your number means your Hive insurance is not valid.
Does this also mean your product liability and third party insurance would not be valid either.

I think the BBKA nead to learn about Beekeeping.
Numbers increase in Spring due to swarms, both controlled and uncontrolled.
It is not uncommon for a Beekeeper to increase his or her numbers by making artificial swarms to prevent swarming, and then later in the year to combine the weaker Hives to help them prepare and survive winter.

Hey, but what do I know.
I am just a Hobbiest that keeps Bees for fun bee-smillie

:iagree:
Welcome to rip off GB
Don't forget the fair usage act where you can get a max of 7 years warranty for electrical products In the UK even if they are made in the USA or Japan, Apple don't like this one lol

"I believe I am not wrong in thinking you can be a BBKA member and opt out of BDI but retain the product liability and third party insurance if this helps you sleep nights !
"

Can this quote be confirmed as after putting in a claim and seeing how BDI works I will only be taking the bare minimuim 3 hives that has to be take when joining the Local Assc. BDI is grossly mis sold as all newcomes are told its BEE insurance and that is the one thing it does not cover.
I was going to ask the N.F.U. about the liability side but if above is correct no need and have been told that there has never been a claim made against a BK so is this really required.

BDI is not part of BBKA.
Your county BKA decides whether to be part of BDI, in the same way it decides whether to be part of BBKA.
The problem is this - if a BKA joins BDI they pay a fee for every single member. There is no individual opt-out.

"I believe I am not wrong in thinking you can be a BBKA member and opt out of BDI but retain the product liability and third party insurance if this helps you sleep nights !
"

Can this quote be confirmed as after putting in a claim and seeing how BDI works I will only be taking the bare minimuim 3 hives that has to be take when joining the Local Assc. BDI is grossly mis sold as all newcomes are told its BEE insurance and that is the one thing it does not cover.
I was going to ask the N.F.U. about the liability side but if above is correct no need and have been told that there has never been a claim made against a BK so is this really required.

I know of a case against a beekeeper that has been listed to be heard between October and mid November. BBKA insurance is doing its job in this instance.

BDI is not part of BBKA.
It is not. BBKA would not be allowed to underwrite insurance which is what BDI does under the mutual insurance regulations.

Neither is BDI part of the NBU Bee Inspectorate. Although it uses the reports as evidence. A bee inspector does not check your insurance level before inspecting. You do not have to join BBKA or BDI before registering on Beebase or asking for an inspection. They also check bee farmers with a variety of insurance arrangements.

Third party liability with premiums paid as part of the BBKA capitation is separately arranged through Tower, also not underwritten by BBKA. It covers beekeepers with up to 40 hives, beyond which you're in bee farmer territory. Whether that is good value or has appropriate cover or limits is a different question.

I know of a case against a beekeeper that has been listed to be heard between October and mid November. BBKA insurance is doing its job in this instance.
Any details? It's the sort of case that might change premiums or cover.

A technicality - BBKA are only involved as insurance arrangers and premium collectors. Any court proceedings or payouts are the responsibility of the underwriters.

Latest posts

Back