Independant Beekeepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyrose1956

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi is there any independant beekeepers who are not a member of an association use this site i have aplied to a couple of associations around my area but no acceptance of membership so i have decided to go it alone as an independant got the insurance and been on the courses so hear goes me and the bees alone bee-smillie

I can't understand associations not accepting your membership. Usually only to happy to take on new members.

You won't be alone when you've got the 'beekeeping forum' as your friend.

Hi Ladyrose
I do not belong to a local association as none are close enough to me to bother with in the time I have available for social activities.
You can manage perfectly well as long as you have access to some sort of advice if you need it.
Cazza

I too had some very cold responses, from Local well know Associations, Found a great helpful bunch from out of our area that accepted us, so Now we travel over an hour to get to them and the Apairys for teaching.
Sad that some people don't want to bring new poeple into this area and that some want over £200 for a training course. I paid a whole sum of £25 for 3 days theory and unlimited visits to one of two teaching apairies on a wed or friday evening through out the summer.
bee-smillie

welcome to the billy no mates club.
chairman polyhive
secatery hedgerow

i find that the forum is an amazing place to ask questions for help and insurence is cheap enough if you look hard enough for it, i carry a million public for £128
(would love to know if people pay less)

BKAs can be very useful to new beeks - a good place to get some hands-on experience. However, they can also be the most frightful "old boys clubs".
I've been a member of 3 BKAs (live in a border area) - one was terrible, one OK and the current one exceptional.
The point is - it is sometimes worth shopping around

I am not really a "joiner"
the idea of summer bbq's with the "club" filled me with chills, especially as one old boy insisted that my childrens school was run by scientologists, and would not have it that Rudolf Steiner was not a religous sect leader........ but that is another story...... it was enough to put me off.
Not wishing to offend any Scientologists... to much
Clare

The public indemnity insurance is worth joining a bka even if you don't use the rest of the bka activities. going direct may be more suitable for you.

i did join one in my first year, lasted 6 months before cutting myself loose.
Im sure there are good ones out there, just not many round here !!!.

Enjoy your bees.

insurence is cheap enough if you look hard enough for it, i carry a million public for £128
(would love to know if people pay less)

The Yorkshire Beekeepers' Association gives members £5million public liability insurance. Cost of membership of an affiliated local association is £24 per year. YBKA take a capitation from that membership fee of (IIRC) £3.00.

welcome to the billy no mates club.
chairman polyhive
secatery hedgerow

Can I join? With a calculator I might manage Treasurer ;)

My choice but have never been to meetings or any functions as I have very little time available.
If I could find insurance for the same as association costs I would be off.
Cheers
S

Some Beekeepers Associations take membership payments once a year. So all there members pay together in October say. It saves them money that way.

Duncan

You can join the BBKA directly without being part of a local association. However, another option would be to join a larger local association not in your area as you will then get their Newsletter which for Devon is one of the best there is. The recent supplement on queen rearing was very good.

Getting insurance at a reasonable cost you will find a big problem and is the reason why the frequent attempt on this forum to look at alternatives to the BBKA keep failing.

independant beekeepers

Well thanks for all your replys i have got my insurance from the BBKA it cost i think £33 for up to five hives thats if my memory servs my right, been on a course got the books so hear goes will be positioning my hives this weekend on my allotment so i will just see what happens there does seem to be a bit of the old boys club involved in these associations so i think i am better off without them bee-smillie :coolgleamA:

Couple points.

HP's public liability is likely for ALL his activities, not just for beekeeping, I would think.

round porter escapes

Porter bee escapes, as far as I understand, are not circular. Well, I've certainly never seen a circular shaped one.

RAB

Latest posts

Back