Improve Your Bees-Simply in 2013

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't go, had bad experiences here with trying to join Bibba at NHS, only to have his fellows at stand appolgise (repeatedly) for his rant which was so out of place (and wrong if he had bothered to listen to me first rather than feet first rant in) :( Won no frends here and embarrassed his colleagues. BBKA forum.....:(

I wouldn't go, had bad experiences here with trying to join Bibba at NHS, only to have his fellows at stand appolgise (repeatedly) for his rant which was so out of place (and wrong if he had bothered to listen to me first rather than feet first rant in) :( Won no frends here and embarrassed his colleagues. BBKA forum.....:(

I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make here Nic :rant: but thanks for letting me know you're not coming, I'll take your name off the guest list, I'm guessing it's a long way to come from St Bees to Norwich just for one day.

For anyone one else interested in coming along, we also plan on having plenty of information about queen rearing for you to take away and also hope to provide lots of local contacts who you can stay in touch with.

Ultimately, our aim is to provide a view on how you can improve your bee stock with just a small number of colonies. It won't suit everyone but my hope is it will provide some useful information for each beekeeper to assess and use as he or she sees fit.

Stewart

sounds like a good day out, I'll probably attend ;)

I certainly hope so :iagree: It would be good to meet up and be able to put a face to the name.
We may even be able to encourage our resepective groups to colllaborate in some queen rearing!

I may be in Thorpe Hamlet that weekend with relatives, and I will see if i can negotiate with her indoors to come while she shops :)hairpull: expensive though)

However I will be at the back as like Nic Rhodes i had a similar rant directed towards me at the LASI Univesity of Sussex lectures on Hygienic Bees last year

What had i done...I asked if there were any diffrences between the behaviour of Britsh Black bees and imported AML strains or crosses

However I will be at the back as like Nic Rhodes i had a similar rant directed towards me at the LASI Univesity of Sussex lectures on Hygienic Bees last year

I was at that workshop too MM. I remember various lively discussions going on from all kinds of people but no unpleasantness from anyone. Best not to get into fights with all that liquid nitrogen flying around anyway.

What had i done...I asked if there were any diffrences between the behaviour of Britsh Black bees and imported AML strains or crosses

You must've been there on the other day.... ;)

Places are filling up quickly,
if you're thinking of coming along get in touch soon via our website or drop me a direct message for more info.

Cheers
Stewart

Roger has a reputation for dabbling with key lines,dowsing and aiming for small colonies :)
The match stick reference is to do with a once advocated method of improvingi ventilation :D
VM

Matchsticks are still being advocated for ventilation in latest BBKA news page32. !
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a limited number of places still available for this one day event, if there are any beekeepers out there that are still thinking they may like to attend please do get in touch.

Stewart

All too often I see new beekeepers being told they shouldn't be doing something by some vastly experienced beekeeper who rolls their eyes to the heavens and speaks loudly enough to embarrass said beginner into never asking another question.

30 years of beekeeping doesn't always make a good beekeeper, it can also make a bad beekeeper with 30 yrs of cocking it up and surviving!

:music-smiley-018:
(singing) Then I go and spoil it all by running off and doing something stupid

A lot of Rogers’ methods won’t be found in books and so

What I know Roger, he offered "poor mating" to all problems. Poor drones were everywhere.

I wonder how somebody can invent any more unprinted tricks in beekeeping.

Last edited:
What I know Roger, he offered "poor mating" to all problems. Poor drones were everywhere.

I wonder how somebody can invent any more unprinted tricks in beekeeping.

I think Roger's writings are well worth reading (far from unprinted !), as they are the observations of a thought full beekeeper in conditions relating to the UK, unlike those of the mighty Finn !

I have reared 45 years queens. Now 10 years I have used very simple system.
When first hives start to rear swarm queens, I change better larvae inside the cells.

This has nothing exiting, but I have tired to make special rearing colonies.

Well, I get really good queens from hives which have swarming fever. However they spend their time in rearing their cells.

The most difficult is to select a mother hive, from where I take larvae.

Of course you may ask larvae from your friend if you have not a proper mother hive.
Put the piece of comb with small larvae under your shirt and bring it to your hive.

Like in these pictures, a guy is rearing tens of queens. It is really easy. the bigger job is to load 50 mating nucs at same time and wher you put then those queen when they start to lay.

If someone rear 50 queens at same time, he surely not need advice how to do that.

If you have 3-5 hives, it is better to bye good quality queens than rear yourself.
The lack of mother hive is problem and inbreeding. Next summer all hives are sisters.

Latest posts

Back