I'm Chuffed.....I have bumbles.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Well, I have spent all summer wishing I had a bumble nest in the garden. I love to see them flying around and even considered buying a nest.

We recently moved house and the back garden is seriously overgrown on the borders. We have spent the last couple of days starting to clear the borders and tidy up the garden a bit.

Today, when I was clearing down the side of the garage where we have a path, I was pulling up some really long grass and weeds and while reaching down to pick up cowpat sized mound of mulch/dead plant matter, I noticed a few small bumbles flying round it. On closer inspection it became obviously that its a bumble nest. I came so close to picking it up...:hairpull:

That would not have been good....me running down the garden with 150 very pissed off bumbles chasing me...:icon_204-2:

I sat for about an hour watching the little beauties coming and going and building and tidying up.....very theraputic...

Even the wife sat and watched them at one point....

Well, I have spent all summer wishing I had a bumble nest in the garden. I love to see them flying around and even considered buying a nest.

Glad you have a nest of them.

Old birdboxes are ideal for Tree Bumbles - I have relocated two this year in birdboxes.. But they can be aggressive near houses if disturbed.

I know where there is a bumble bee nest, it is underneath some ivy that has grown over a low brick wall, and overhanging a pavement. Nobody knows it is there, well, except me!

Latest posts

Back