Identifying specific bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKemp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
It might seem a stupid question but I watched a bit of the BBC series Victorian Farm. In it they talked about beekeeping and the local beekeeper ‘caught a swarm’......
He said “ah these are nice Italian bees”

They looked the same as my Buckfasts.....can you really tell the difference?

Do different strains/variety look very different and where can I learn more

Or Google
In Victorian times the only yellow bee would have been Italian or Italian origin?

Last edited:
Some useful information on the BIBBA web pages.

I would doubt if a Victorian beekeeper would have said " nice Italian Bees" as the vast majority of beekeepers in those day would have still been keeping the native dark bees,
However later in the reign of Victoria some wealthy few were importing exotic honey bee species along with Himalayan Balsom, Japanese Knotweed, pineapples and other things to amaze and amuse their titled friends......

Full of misinformation that program.... even showing cultivars not known until the 1920s !!

Chons da

Italian bees were introduced to the UK in 1859. Maybe some Victorian beekeepers were familiar with them

Italian bees were introduced to the UK in 1859. Maybe some Victorian beekeepers were familiar with them

About the same time as moveable frame hives would have been cropping up over here - the middle class victorians (probably the ones who founded the BBKA)were notorious for pointlessly fiddling around and importing new species so doubtless would have known of Italian bees

About the same time as moveable frame hives would have been cropping up over here - the middle class victorians (probably the ones who founded the BBKA)were notorious for pointlessly fiddling around and importing new species so doubtless would have known of Italian bees

Just as well really
Not much apart from them left after IOW

I MUST remember what section we’re in !

They looked the same as my Buckfasts.....can you really tell the difference?

Do different strains/variety look very different and where can I learn more

That's because the buckfast bee is a synthetic hybrid. It has a lot of Ligurian in its ancestry.
You can see the difference here.

Last edited:
That's because the buckfast bee is a synthetic hybrid. It has a lot of Ligurian in its ancestry.
You can see the difference here.

Buckfast bees are a hybridisation of anything the breeder mixes up... today seems to be Carniolian and Creponian... the Greek yellow bees....

Who knows?

Buckfast bees are a hybridisation of anything the breeder mixes up... today seems to be Carniolian and Creponian... the Greek yellow bees....

Who knows?
Wrong again.
You really need to check your facts before blurting that rubbish out.
The ancestry charts on Beefriendly link show you have to go a fair way back to find anything recognisable as a pure race in most of the stock.

Earlier this year I was informed that the Buckfast mated queens being sold by a reputable supplier were imported from Greece and were a Carniolian / Creponian hybrid?

Seems the Buckfast word has now been downgraded to a descriptor for any hybridised bee?

Jo is correct IMOHO that just keeping records of crosses does not necessarily make for bee improvement and better bee breeding... selection of the traits the beekeeper seeks do that... and before hand get placed on arses, Bee Improvement and Bee Breeding Arrangements* (BIBBA) can cut across ALL typed of honey bee.. SHIRLEY !

Association if you like.

Just to put the "argument" on an even keel....

Mods may now need to close this thread, before the antis start the usual bunfight!!

Chons da

Earlier this year I was informed that the Buckfast mated queens being sold by a reputable supplier were imported from Greece and were a Carniolian /
Not a very reputable seller then.
.....name and shame.

Back