Identification of these robbers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I need some help identifying these unwelcome visitors that pester my colonies. I don't know what they prey on but they latch on to a colony and cause a huge loss of bees and ultimately killed a hive last year.
They have a much smaller body which is black and a different shape abdomen. I can spot them immediately in the hive. The pictures does not fully capture the difference but the red circled one gives the best perspective. Last year I squashed a few and they gave a off a bitter smell.
Is there any other methods to stop robbing than by putting a glass plate in front of the entrance?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6642.JPG
    IMG_6642.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6598.JPG
    IMG_6598.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6596.jpg
    IMG_6596.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 130
You colonies are too small to occupy all frames, that they can defend the whole space.. Or too much space that robbers can enter inside in peace.

Are you feeding something to hives which invent robbers?

Those robbers are normal bees which hairs have vanished in robbing duty.

If colony is small, use nuc boxes.

Do not feed weak hives. Big rob them. Give ready food combs to weak ones from big hives.

Last edited:
If you want to draw combs with feeding, robbers are interested, if there is not enough nectar in nature. Change the timing.

Looks more like you have diseased bees in your colony to me rather than bees from elsewhere robbing them. Just my honest opinion.

Cheers, Mick.

Looks more like you have diseased bees in your colony to me rather than bees from elsewhere robbing them. Just my honest opinion.

Cheers, Mick.

That is true.... Chronic bee paralysis virus in pics?

Killed a hive !

You should change the genepool to get ridd of them.

Last edited:
The hive is currently in a demaree due to their size but I will look into the disease possibility.
Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Is there anything else that I could do for them? Fresh frames or something? I am rather isolated so fresh genes will be good.

For learning purposes can i ask how you spotted desease in these pics please.

Just out of interest what is that yellow sick looking penis doing in the first picture.....if you are poking that in there then you out are brave!!!
E

I think Mick and Finman read the signs correct. The bees appear glossy black without hair (which they lose) and the guard bees do not allow them back in which made me believe they are robbing. Eventually it weakens the colony. You can just about see the effect on the bees in the picture although it affect individual bees differently in severity.

Thanks again Mick for spotting this!

@ Enrico
Hahaha! Oh hell, hope this is not a venerial disease.

Ps. Marigold gloves for all of those who rushed to click��

Ah ok i understand. The dark bees are showing signs of desease and are not allowed back in by guards but were actually from that hive. I havent seen this before so thank you all for helping me learn on here.

Latest posts

Back