The bees are here

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, new member here , after reading and researching about bees for some time I now have collected a nuc colony. I have placed the poly nuc on the stand where I will site the hive and plan to give them a day or two to settle down before transferring them into a hive. After a hour or so of circling and zooming around foraging appears to have begun as I can see bees returning loaded with pollen , initially when I opened the hive I did observe what appeared to be a few skirmishes going on with bees carrying dead body's away that looked to be a different type of bee to my bees, my bees have yellow stripes and the dead bees looked almost identical except they were much darker almost completely black on the abdomen. Any ideas what was going on there ? I think I saw about 5 or 6 dead of these other types of bees , now all seems to have settled down I have not seen any more fighting or bodys being carried. What is the maximum time period that I can leave the bees in the nuc before transferring to the hive ? And is there anything I should be watching out for? Sorry but this is my first time

Rick.

Apart from reading about beekeeping, have you had any practical training or is there someone who could mentor you for your venture into the world of beekeeping? Are you a member or have you plans to join your local beekeeping association?

Last edited:
Hi there John, I have joined my local beekeeping association but have yet to go to a meet, I only applied last week, I am going to see if I can find somebody Willing to mentor me when I get the information about the meets. Up to press though yes only books, online research and YouTube videos, transferring the nuc to the hive was the first time I have ever personally opened a hive or even seen inside one in the flesh . It was a little more nerve wracking than I expected.

Hi there John, I have joined my local beekeeping association but have yet to go to a meet, I only applied last week, I am going to see if I can find somebody Willing to mentor me when I get the information about the meets. Up to press though yes only books, online research and YouTube videos, transferring the nuc to the hive was the first time I have ever personally opened a hive or even seen inside one in the flesh . It was a little more nerve wracking than I expected.

I'll bet it was nerveracking:) Just a word of caution - there is a lot of crap on youtube, often uploaded by the terminally bewildered
A mentor will help you in a thousand different ways from hands on help, guidance in what to look for when inspecting the colony, recognition of eggs, larvae, sealed brood (chrysalis) and the castes of the imago. Plus he or she can help you interpret what you have read.
I'd ask if the association can put you in immediate contact with other members who you can talk to.
Keep us posted on your progress :)

First of all, well done for completing the first step, moving of the bees.

It was a little more nerve wracking than I expected.
Step 2 will be.... relax. If you have a full, good suit, Wellington boots and good gloves than the chance to get stung is little. We all have been stung and it will happen to you as well at some point so just make sure you spent that extra minute to make sure you are dressed up proper. Trouser always inside the Wellington’s, because Bees always walk up, so they will walk up your leg otherwise, if you don't have a full suit but a Jacket, take a Belt around your Hip, because when you bend over, they like to get on your back. Always check the Veil is proper closed and check that the Veil got no hole.

Since I get dressed up proper, I am far more relaxed because I know it will be much harder for the girls to get me, so even if they are angry with me, I can do the job I need to do. If they do sting in your glove, put a bit of smoke on from the smoker, so the smell gets covered, if they are running out and sit on the edge of the box, use some smoke, but put a little bit of green grass inside you smoker so that the smoke is cold, otherwise you burn instead of smoke them girls.

Otherwise, give them and yourself a few days to calm down now. And next time when the weather is nice open them up and go through each frame, maybe you can spot the queen, don't panic and just enjoy.

Hi all, a little update, a kind member from the local beekeeping club volunteered to come round and help me check on the bees, we opened the hive and checked all the frames. Lots of bees, eggs. Brood stores etc, and I managed to spot the Queen! all is well and the colony is thriving, no sign of any queen cells either so all in all an excellent result!!

Thanks again

Rick

Hi all, a little update, a kind member from the local beekeeping club volunteered to come round and help me check on the bees, we opened the hive and checked all the frames. Lots of bees, eggs. Brood stores etc, and I managed to spot the Queen! all is well and the colony is thriving, no sign of any queen cells either so all in all an excellent result!!

Thanks again

Rick

I love it when a plan comes together! (the A Team)

Hi everyone, I thought I'd share a little update with you to let you know how the bees and ourselves are progressing, the brood box is getting fairly full now, 9 almost ten frames full of brood and stores. Also lots of bees beginning to move Into the super and draw the frames out . It's been a steep learning experience so far but thanks to all your advice and the Local beekeeping association things seem to be going well so far, on todays inspection I took a little video for anybody who is interested. Thanks again everyone!

https://youtu.be/aE3Wxy7pjjQ

Rick

...., often uploaded by the terminally bewildered.

What a classic line. Will have to remember that one. not worthy

Latest posts

Back