Robbers of Home Bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With the mild weather the bees have been more active that a "normal" November.
Looking at the activity around the hives, it seems more like a usual "flow" day.
I just wondered of the groups of workers going in and out actually belong to the colony or are they robbers from elsewhere. There seems to be little forage but a few are bringing in pollen. Stores are good (last time I inspected) and they are taking 2:1 syrup.
Is there any way of telling the difference between ours and robbers such as behaviour etc.?

Attachments

• DSCN0872.JPG
    DSCN0872.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 20
Robbers tend to dart up and down side to side in front of the entrance. There will be bees trying to get into the hive at other places.
Robbed torn wax cappings under the omf. Put the inspection tray in for a day.
Fighting at the entrance.
If it’s silent robbing then just look on the inspection tray
I’m still getting bursts of orientation flights by the way.

Robbers tend to dart up and down side to side in front of the entrance. There will be bees trying to get into the hive at other places.
Plenty of activity in my hives on dry days ... very busy this morning and pollen still being found somewhere. Stopped feeding mine two weeks ago now and the hive weights are pretty consistent so they must be bringing in nectar as well from somewhere - Ivy is still in blook in some places but there are quite a few exotics in flower in gardens around me ... still very mild down here on the Costa del Fareham.

Thanks everyone. Sound like it's just normal activity with the bees enjoying a late mild spell. They are entering and leaving normally with no fighting nor trying to sneak in the back way. They are bringing back some pollen but are still taking the 2:1 syrup. One hive registered a higher temperature that the other which could be one reason why they were outside in large numbers. Not mastered the art of hefting yet so working on a rule of thumb regards feed.

Latest posts

Back