Ideals, dreams, ambitions, fantasies . . . . .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headnavigator

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm wondering what hopes other new beekeepers have for the future - what are your plans for one year's time and aims for five year's time?
More to the point - can you experienced beeks cast your minds back and recall what you were hoping for in the first year and what happened in reality over the first five?
I guess I'm looking at a little bit of reality testing - wondering what's possible without winding down ideals or dashing all dreams?
:Angel_anim:

Hi Head, Just starting my third year. First year wanted to catch swarms and hive them to get my bees. Lots of experienced beeks thought it a tad ambitious but I managed it and built them up over the summer. Went into winter with two colonies hoping they would survive winter and they did, joy of joys. Last summer caught two more swarms, did an A/S was hoping for a bit of honey and harvested 30lbs. Modest by some standards but so exciting for me and the taste! Indescribable. Now want to have three strong colonies and breed some queens. And just spend lots more time learning and being inspired by this forum. Good luck.
bee-smillie

Yes.

Sit in the bath and read, and divide by four.

Reality.

PH

1 year: Be breathing - have at least 3 hives
5 years: Still be breathing, have 7-10 hives
Be happy and a voice for bee-keepers!

in my first year i wanted get 5 colonies instead i had one of my own and another 60 to help look after.

as for this year all i want to do is to buy in some top quality amm queens and then split some hives to give them all a coloy each to build up.

the great plan ten for xmas

Sorry what is an amm queen? Sounds v exciting and exclusive.

Plan is that by June (1 year in) my 1 hive has become at least 2. Plan by year 5 is to not only be up to 10, but have recouped the investment.

the original plan - to get one hive to service some of the wild flowers around the farm

reality - 3 hives by the end of year one. lose one the following spring

year 2 - expanded to 14 hives, primarily through swarm catching. Trimmed down to 9 for nice strong colonys for the winter.

year 3 (this year) - watch this space! I am making it up as I go along!
I am currently making enough kit for a total of 30+ hives + 15 NUC's... just in case!

I'm pretty much the same as peteinwilts.
I'm up to 11 hives in 3 years and have got 2 out apiaries lined up for the spring. I've had to buy a special shed to store all the kit.
Nucs & mini nucs all over the place and some more hives on order from Hivemaker.
It's got to to stop somewhere as i'm not too bothered about honey, i just like fiddling about with the kit a grafting Q's etc.

Darren.

was over the moon when we found bees in some old boxes, dressed in overalls, mosquito nets and skiing gloves, the boxes, were due to be fired!! as they were in such a poor state, took what we could home to the 'shed' repaired them , they still are functioing, that was 10 years ago, wanted to get to 4 hives, ooopppps, now run 30 hives, mostly on 14x12's what happened there?
the first frame of honey we stole from them is undoubtably the best honey i have ever tasted. just get on with it.

Year 1 to have our one colony of docile girls survive winter and for us to get a little honey. We got 25lbs and they survived.

Year 2 to keep our first colony alive,healthy, and with us and to get a little honey. To keep our second hive alive and to get a little honey.
Both survived without swarming and we got 165lbs of honey...and lucky.

Years 3 - 50 to keep our two hives alive, healthy, and with us and to get a little honey.
Watch this space...

Oh and to learn more about the girls each time we are with them.

Sam

first year was a struggle, went from 3 hives down to 1 second year, back up to 2 and they seem very ok! and a third which as it came as a samll weak nuc, got raided and robbed by wasps and has a very rough winter is still clinging on, this is a real shocker as soon as we have enough in one of our hives they will get additional support. Tenacity will be rewarded, and we have learnt even more from them... we will be buying in AMM and, er, mixed, and will be building up on what we have. this year we want to get to 10 or 12 hives. next year to 24. at that point I will be at the same number of hives as when I were a lad first looking after bees. At that point the next steps will be to improve on what we have and to see what happens next. We will then also be doing more to help the bee improvement programme our site (s) is (are) large enough to carry both in reasonable isolation.so... hmmm and to keep learning, reading on here and relaying our thoughts and discoveries...

Like most, I suppose, year 1 objective was to see our nuc grow and thrive. We were lucky enough to acquire a swarm as well, and to get both through the winter.

Year 2's objective was to maintain both colonies and get at least a little honey: object achieved, but there was quite a lot of grief grappling with recalcitrant bees (and climbing the very steep learning curve).

Year 3 (this year): to maintain the three hives - but to enjoy it all rather more, and fret about it rather less!

My first year I had one hive.

My 2nd year I had four. then increased to 14.

My third year I was asked to take over Craibstone and found myself effectively a commercial beekeeper with just under 60.

Life got very interesting.

PH

Back