icing sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a paragraph copied from NBU North East Region 2019 Season Overview which I think it relevant:

"Reports from around the regionfrom the inspectorshave givenme reason for concern, many of you are using Sugar dusting as your main or only form of Varroa control. The inspectors havereported on numerous occasions this season that the colonies they haveinspected have been on the verge of collapse with mites running on the comb, bees with deformed wings (DWV) and emerging bees dying with their tongues outParasitic mite syndrome(PMS). When the emerging bees are removed with tweezers and examined they are seriously parasitised.Asa Yorkshireman myself,I understand the genetic need within us to save (or just not spend) money but if a colony dies due to ineffective “treatments” It’sa false saving.There is also a risk during the season that icing sugar will find its way into the honey and so part of the composition of any honey being sold, won’t be fromapure nectar sources. I know the quantity is very small, but if icing sugar is used weekly as advised then thetotal honey crop is likely to be small and the amount of icing sugar “supporting” the bees becomes more significant.Icing sugar is not pure sugar it also contains Tricalcium Phosphate which is a calcium salt of Phosphoric acid.We increasingly hear of trading standards testing honey and beekeepers having issues because they haveintroduced sugar to the colony as a “treatment” or have provided a support feed that has ended up stored in supers, mixed with foraged nectar/honey." Extracted from Dhonn Atkinson 2019

No surprise there then.

The question that came to me instantly is who is pushing this in that area as a successful method of control? They need curbing as a matter of some urgency.

PH

The question that came to me instantly is who is pushing this in that area as a successful method of control? They need curbing as a matter of some urgency.

PH

But but.... she has sistiffikits, so she must be right
she is a good beekeeper, done all the exams going.

And as you know - you don't learn beekeeping by looking inside a hive - much better gleaning your knowledge from books full of incorrect facts!!

It's interesting how fashions in beekeeping change over the years - if you look at books from yesteryear, they used some odd chemicals and practices - either dangerous or ineffective - which have now gone. Then around the end of the 2nd world war the practice of opening the roof for winter came in which is still prevalent in some minds. The icing sugar debate is the current subject.
It seems that once a practice is stuck, it's stuck, and people are loath to change.

I'm with you to a point but the icing sugar issue is since varroa.

PH

The heart and soul of the issue generally is in being different to most other people. Being questioning, responsible, attentive, always looking for/acting upon scientific report and rejecting old wive's tales is regrettably not what certain age groups do; and frequently they only hear/see "a part of the story".

Being questioning, responsible, attentive, always looking for/acting upon scientific report and rejecting old wive's tales is regrettably not what certain age groups do; .

Would you are to expand that observation?
I know quite a few beekeepers across all ages and that’s not what I see and that is similarly reflected in my local association

I suspect that there is a group out there who are totally stuck in their ways and will ignore evidence based ideas which don't marry up with what they "know" is right. Even when what they "know" is pretty obviously wrong.

I think that is quite common across most fields.

PH

I suspect that there is a group out there who are totally stuck in their ways and will ignore evidence based ideas which don't marry up with what they "know" is right. Even when what they "know" is pretty obviously wrong.

PH

See anti vaxxers

That is unfair.

That is a personal choice I have made. I find that my trickle method works very well for me. The reason I do not use nor recommend the vaping is the safety aspect and the multiple applications.

It's all very well saying yes but I am diligent. It's what the others do... as in the "Oh I always stand up wind" Uh huh.

PH

See anti vaxxers

That is unfair.

That is a personal choice I have made. I find that my trickle method works very well for me. The reason I do not use nor recommend the vaping is the safety aspect and the multiple applications.

PH
Anti vaXXers not anti vaPers ?

Would you are to expand that observation?
I know quite a few beekeepers across all ages and that’s not what I see and that is similarly reflected in my local association

"At age 20, we worry about what others think of us. At age 40, we don't care what they think about us. At age 60, we discover they haven't been thinking of us at all" - Ann Landers

And trying to make sense of the cognitive decision-making choices/abilities of others.

PH

Randy Oliver quotes on his website that 'it's what you know for sure that keeps you from learning'. Excellent bit of advice!

Randy Oliver quotes on his website that 'it's what you know for sure that keeps you from learning'. Excellent bit of advice!

It is indeed great advice.
I'm always questioning whether what I'm doing is the "best" way. I guess that's why so many think I'm an argumentative sod.....:D
But when I see the black and white opinions of many I know it's right to keep questioning.
As murox has said though there are lost of closed minds who will believe whatever they will, despite facts showing things to be contrary.

"At age 20, we worry about what others think of us. At age 40, we don't care what they think about us. At age 60, we discover they haven't been thinking of us at all" - Ann Landers

And trying to make sense of the cognitive decision-making choices/abilities of others.

At age 70 you realise most of the younger others are either arrogant or simply wrong!

At age 70 you realise most of the younger others are either arrogant or simply wrong!

As a soon to be septuagenarian .. I find that a lot of my generation are the ones who are arrogant or simply wrong.

As part of the generation who, through ignorance or misinformation, managed to completely screw up our planet's chances of long term survival I am encouraged that my children and grand children seem to have more sense and humility, listen to the evidence and look to a future where we change and hopefully reverse the damage that has and continues to be done.

In beekeeping terms there appears to be those that will question and innovate, those that follow the innovators, accept and try alternative ideas and those that remain in denial regardless of evidence ...

Funny how beekeeping also reflects life in general ?

As a soon to be septuagenarian .. I find that a lot of my generation are the ones who are arrogant or simply wrong.

As part of the generation who, through ignorance or misinformation, managed to completely screw up our planet's chances of long term survival I am encouraged that my children and grand children seem to have more sense and humility, listen to the evidence and look to a future where we change and hopefully reverse the damage that has and continues to be done.

In beekeeping terms there appears to be those that will question and innovate, those that follow the innovators, accept and try alternative ideas and those that remain in denial regardless of evidence ...

Funny how beekeeping also reflects life in general ?

And as another near septuagenarian. I AGREE!!

Back