icing sugar fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolW

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Is there any reason, apart from cost, not to make fondant from icing sugar? I've got two bags here and notie that one says the ingredients are sugar and maize flour (3%), the other has sugar and tricalcium phosphate ( 1.5%).

Is there any reason, apart from cost, not to make fondant from icing sugar? I've got two bags here and notie that one says the ingredients are sugar and maize flour (3%), the other has sugar and tricalcium phosphate ( 1.5%).

In all icing sugar You buy in shops are additives which absorb the moist and keep sugar from granulating.
When we are grinding a sugar for fondants we have no such problem.
In some fondants at my place is found starch or plain flour which absorb water and make fondants heavier and with these You are paying for water.. That makes me really mad. So as I said about fondants or patties, for me the best ones are which I made by myself..

Look on the label of baker’s fondant for the ingredients. Sucrose, water and glucose.

Been looking to buy some fondant, but the price of it has gone up and most suppliers are asking for around £15 carriage for 25 Kgs... What is the cheapest offer you have found?

Been looking to buy some fondant, but the price of it has gone up and most suppliers are asking for around £15 carriage for 25 Kgs... What is the cheapest offer you have found?

Local Bako, about seven quid for 12.5 KG

I seem to post this yearly but BAKO (bless them) have different rules for each region.

To say you get it for £x is a tad misleading if it is not available in region Y.

Just a heads up to avoid annoyance.

PH

Although Bako have standard prices that are quoted we found that you can often do a deal if you are prepared to order a reasonable quantity. We got them down from £16 to £8 for 20 x 12.5kg.

Thank you JBM will try them Monday..

the only thing you may find (depends on the local manager) is that they have a minimum purchase amount - in Gorseinon it's £60.00, but if you mention beekeeping he/she may waive that

Thank you JBM will try them Monday..

We were paid a visit by the local BAKO manager who wanted to know what our business needs were before we were allowed to register with the company. My understanding is you can't just order from BAKO without first being registered.

We were paid a visit by the local BAKO manager who wanted to know what our business needs were before we were allowed to register with the company. My understanding is you can't just order from BAKO without first being registered.

All down to who your local rep is.

I've ordered 4 times without registering as a one off customer.

All down to who your local rep is.

I've ordered 4 times without registering as a one off customer.

The regional officers are really autonomous. Anyone had success getting a a discount for fondant from the North West branch? Last time I looked it was £18 for the 12.5kg box

Yeah. I get it from the NW branch in Preston. Paid just over £7 per 12.5kg box.

I've got the reps number if you want me to DM it to you.

He is sound and happy to process one off orders.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back