I think i have a bees nest in my garden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No all the bumble bees in one nest will be the same general shape and size.
Your description of longer and thinner and striped sounds more like a honey bee; it may just be coincidence. If they are yellow and black stripes then they are wasps.

No it wasnt a wasp, i had to pull a sting out of my finger, and i presume wasps dont have those kind of stings? Unless im mistaken? Maybe just a coinidence then..i do have alot of flowering bushes and flowers etc in my garden, maybe ahoney bee had just been there at the time. I think it would be a bit premature to presume i may have both. but i have seen alot of the thinner more striped bees. I think il just keep an eye open. And maybe if I get the chance to see whats in the hedge, post another pic of the nest/hive?

Google types of bees and wasps, and you'll(hopefully) find something like the one that stung you.
How many bees do you think there are in the hedge? What sort of hedge is it? Looking out of my window at the cotoneaster hedge I can usually see several dozen assorted bumbles and honey bees foraging on it throughout the day. That might be what's happening in your hedge.

bumble bees are endangered as well so try not to disturb them they should not hurt you if you leave them alone. they will tend to leave the nest by mid summer. I had some above my front door. zoomed over my head every morning but didn't do any harm. My kids loved to watch them

if im right there are about 20-25 different types of bumble out there

Thorn, I think you are right. Ive just been out for a smoke, and saw at least 6 or 7 coming in and out of the place I was talking of, and definately of the bumble kind in my photo. i think maybe the honey bees are just taking opportunity of the forage :)

Sounds more like a thorn!!!!! Honey bee n the finger tip. OUCH,!!!

There is a beekeeper in Woodhouse Eaves if its anywhere near you? He has a website 'woodhouse eaves honey' his name is Kyle and he was very helpful when we first started up.

Latest posts

Back