I-phone to Android

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posh town then - My grandfather tells me that in our village way back when Mr Tracy-Phillips the postmaster would just look out on to the street beckon the nearest child who was playing nearby, slip him a halfpenny and direct him where to deliver the telegram. When the Armistice was announced in 1918, the lucky boy was given a shilling, a union flag and told to run around the whole valley announcing the news.
Hardly posh ... Mexborough was a mining town...even by post war Yorkshire standards the place was poor ... I'd best not get into the two Ronnies sketch about what it was like in Yorkshire ... we were so poor we used to share a pair of shoes and hop to school ....

My Dad often says ‘I lived in a cardboard box in middle t’ road and considered meself lucky’ ! If anyone whinges about something minor.

Three digits? Some of us only had one ☺
:) I went to the Republic of Ireland as late as 1985 and tried calling a friend who only had 2 digits (if you see what I mean!) I got a voice on the other end asking me what number I was trying to get. When I told her, she said, "Oh I'll try to connect you but they'll not be there this morning, they'll be at the horse-sales"

Well whatever you do with your phone make sure all your stuff is secure.
I had somebody steal £300 from my Amazon account at three o’clock this morning. Amazon’s software should have picked it up which they admitted but they are still leaving it to my bank to sort it.
Not a happy bunny.

I had somebody steal £300 from my Amazon account at three o’clock this morning. Amazon’s software should have picked it up which they admitted but they are still leaving it to my bank to sort it.
Not a happy bunny.
Blimey .. that's a bit scary ... presumably someone hacked into your phone ?

I had someone recently take out a direct debit credit agreement for car insurance using my name, my DOB, my email address, my home addres and the details of a previous bank account I held. The first I knew about it was when I got a demand from the finance house for £865 - unpaid insurance premium for a car. They would not tell me what car was involved .. as I could not verify the details of the vehicle insured - I had one of those idiot conversations where I pointed out that I could not verify the car reg number on the policy as it was nothing to do with me ... there was no money in the bank account and it had been closed years before. The insurance company involved said it was something that happened regularly ... the idiots eventually sent me, by accident, details of the vehicle - it was located in Manchester by some lunatic who regularly appeared on bad driver web site videos ... it was no lonnger taxed or MOT'd and still seemed to be driven around with no insurance. There was no financial loss to me so the police were not interested .. I had a heck of a job getting the insurance company to provide me with a letter confirming that the insurance that had now lapsed was nothing to do with me but I kept getting chasers from the finance company for some months afterwards. My details had been hacked from somewhere but nobody could tell me where or how. It's very worrying when it happens ...

Here you go:
Make your android look and feel like an iphone:
https://www.androidcentral.com/how-make-your-android-look-and-feel-iphone
That's fantastic the lengths people will go to to make a look-alike i-phone out of an Android ... I don't have enough time left in my life or the inclination - It will be quicker to suffer the indignity and humiliation of having to ask 'er indoors how to do things on the new phone ... and then suffer the look of total superiority in her face .... there will be revenge ....

Blimey .. that's a bit scary ... presumably someone hacked into your phone ?

I had someone recently take out a direct debit credit agreement for car insurance using my name, my DOB, my email address, my home addres and the details of a previous bank account I held. The first I knew about it was when I got a demand from the finance house for £865 - unpaid insurance premium for a car. They would not tell me what car was involved .. as I could not verify the details of the vehicle insured - I had one of those idiot conversations where I pointed out that I could not verify the car reg number on the policy as it was nothing to do with me ... there was no money in the bank account and it had been closed years before. The insurance company involved said it was something that happened regularly ... the idiots eventually sent me, by accident, details of the vehicle - it was located in Manchester by some lunatic who regularly appeared on bad driver web site videos ... it was no lonnger taxed or MOT'd and still seemed to be driven around with no insurance. There was no financial loss to me so the police were not interested .. I had a heck of a job getting the insurance company to provide me with a letter confirming that the insurance that had now lapsed was nothing to do with me but I kept getting chasers from the finance company for some months afterwards. My details had been hacked from somewhere but nobody could tell me where or how. It's very worrying when it happens ...
I’ve no idea how.
I do most of my Amazon shopping via the app on my phone and 4G. Never use the broadband router which is too slow but that has a proper password on it anyway
I’ve changed loads of passwords but use fingerprint as it is.

I have never had any trust in mobile tech and would never use one for any type of payment method.

Not a happy bunny.
ID theft is a major problem at the moment. All the IT guys losing their jobs and know exactly how things work - some probably took a copy of an unencrypted database as they went. NEVER use the same password for more than one account ever.

ID theft is a major problem at the moment. All the IT guys losing their jobs and know exactly how things work - some probably took a copy of an unencrypted database as they went. NEVER use the same password for more than one account ever.

I have about 40 different passwords ... I keep them all in a list on my phone (only kidding ... they are nearly all in my memory and those that are not are written down and locked away ...). it is, however, true I do have about 40 passwords and these days they are quite complex .. plus then you have PIN numbers and secret words and secret questions and ....STILL the bloody hackers get hold of this stuff ... I don't think I'm the security risk ... it's the secuity of the sites that are the problem.

I spent the day changing passwords and I still have some to do
I just use safari suggested secure ones now and I don't have a clue what they are. I must admit I have had the same password for lots of things
I have about 40 different passwords ... I keep them all in a list on my phone (only kidding ... they are nearly all in my memory and those that are not are written down and locked away ...).
But doesn't your phone store them anyway?

I have over 300 passwords. I don't remember (or even know) what any of them is. I use a password generator/manager/safe. I never store passwords anywhere else. It is the only way to keep them secure.
Never re-use a password.

Last edited:
You had shoes!
We were lucky if we had feet!

I have a picture of my mother in Somerset , where she was born, wearing wooden clogs around 1911. They were a hand down from her older brother.

Another unsettling thought is the contact centre staffs of companies taking payments over the phone are largely working from home. I wonder how many are building a database of customers card numbers and security codes.....

But regardless of these concerns, the cashless society is headiing our way and we will all soon have a global “digital identity“
See mcinsey.com “Digital identification A key to inclusive growth”

Also explained on the UK gov website. The UK is forging ahead with this as a ”world leader” probably to bear down on the gig economy, fraud and to identify unknown immigrants, hopefully to release them from traffickers et al
Then every transaction will be traceable, tax revenues will soar and freedoms will be lost.

Another unsettling thought is the contact centre staffs of companies taking payments over the phone are largely working from home. I wonder how many are building a database of customers card numbers and security codes.....

Very unsettling.

As long as you have an I-phone with IOS 11.0 or above ... My iphone 5s doesn't come close ...
Every sympathy with understanding phones! No instructions ever seem to be given in terms I can understand. - Tho if you buy a new oven, people say the manual looks like a degree course, and pages of warnings about not injuring yourself with the plastic wrapping etc etc. seem to come with everything else.

On the hand, I've an old iPhone 5 someone gave me. I half drowned it and had to put in a new battery, after which it worked much better than when I got it. I was afraid it wouldn't cope with a newer OS for ages and read also that you couldn't upgrade to the latest, but earlier this year just decided to go for it with the latest upgrade it 'told me' was available, and it now seems to run fine on 12.4.08! (Don't tell Apple?) - It still flashes up all sorts of things I can't or don't want to use, but: it works!

I spent the day changing passwords and I still have some to do
I just use safari suggested secure ones now and I don't have a clue what they are. I must admit I have had the same password for lots of things

But doesn't your phone store them anyway?
That's a good point...I use secure passwords for anything that is financial and don't store them - I also try and much as possible only to do purchases and anything financial on my laptop rather than my phone... it's still a worry though !

I don't buy anything over the phone for that very reason...

Latest posts

Back