1st Colony In Place

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnotherNewBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
1 WBC
Not, strictly, mine but I will be looking after it.

The site is very local to me, a farm project where we help people with learning difficulties make the transition from school to adult life.

The swarm was collected, and put in a nuc, by a friendly beek in a nearby town. It was then donated to the project. If you are that beek, many thanks - it is very much appreciated. not worthy

Your shoes, which you left in our car, will be returned very soon!

The girls seem happy enough. As it was very late (and too dark) by the time we got them to their new site last night we decided to leave them in the nuc overnight.

They were quite well tempered, this morning, while being moved from the nuc to the brood box. No sign of the queen, though we are confident she made it into the right place as the bees we tipped out of the nuc onto a sheet in front of the WBC seemed very keen to make their way indoors. 4 of the 5 frames in the nuc were covered with bees so it was very difficult to see what was going on, so we'll now leave it for a few days then carry out a full inspection. We'll probably take a peek before then as we've used a glass crown board.

There's OSR, in flower, nearby so we're expecting the girls to get to work very quickly, weather permitting. The kit (WBC) we housed it in, this morning, is quite old and could do with some maintenance. We'll be doing that in the coming weeks as we need to add supers and more lifts. The key, we think, is to get a little more kit than we think we need ready BEFORE they need it. Why does that seem like an impossible task? :rolleyes:

girlsgoinghome.jpg

Back