I-phone to Android

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I feel so OLD ...

'Er indoors insisted that I upgrade my old Iphone 1 3/4 to something more modern that would run the NHS app ... the rest of the family have mostly moved away from Iphones and give me grief that I send them I-messages (not that I knew that I was doing it !) and more or less said change to Android or move out ...

So I've now got a shiny new Samsung Galaxy ... but .. all that rubbish about 'transition is easy' clearly does not include or apply to a 70 year old technophobe. It's taken me virtually all weekend to transfer the stuff from my iphone to the new phone and I still have no idea how the damn thing works or where everything is ... Son No. 2 says that I'll get used to it ... but it's like learning a dead language with a just a French-German dictionary .....or breaking in a new pair of shoes for someone whose feet are two sizes smaller ...

And I thought beekeeping was difficult at times ....

Poor Philip.
You should have stood your ground or at least just upgraded your iPhone

I know when I'm beaten !! The cheapest new iphone is still way more expensive than the Samsung and apparently - (although I may never discover what it is !) the Samsung has much more that it can do and better ... I am reliably informed by a 10 year old ....

Well done - Iphones are the work of the devil
Give me a year or two and I will probably agree with you .... Apple do seem to make life quite difficult unless you are prepared to cough up several hundred pounds for an entry level one that is capable of taking on the latest IOS ... My old one has done a good few years and still works but all I use it for is Phone/Texts./Photos/emails and occasional visits to here in my lunch break...friustratingly the technology is out of date for so much now that it really is untenable ...

Give me a year or two and I will probably agree with you .... Apple do seem to make life quite difficult unless you are prepared to cough up several hundred pounds for an entry level one that is capable of taking on the latest IOS ... My old one has done a good few years and still works but all I use it for is Phone/Texts./Photos/emails and occasional visits to here in my lunch break...friustratingly the technology is out of date for so much now that it really is untenable ...
Apparently you can make and receive phone calls on a Samsung.
Suddenly Yoootooob will be your friend. There are people with nothing more in their lives than making videos of how modern phones work. Have fun Philip😀

Unbilievably even my cheap knockoff China clone android 8 phone or something like that works very well. Here I am trying to type this in the middle of the Surrey hills sitting in total pitch black.
One doesn't have to spend much on these devices for one to work.
Currently on the 1p network piggying off EE.

I just had to add my bit to this .Last year i was persuaded to be trendy and get a smartphone. I got a Doro phone for seniors. It has a camera and wifi interweb etc. But what was the decider for me with having an out apiary was the panic button it has. So if i get in to difficulties i just press this button and it goes straigh to emergency service of my choosing.It is also a very smart phone because everytime i take it out of my poket it has either the torch switched on or contacting voicemail or sometimes logging on to the interweb and ive not touched anything.Smart Phone My AR....e I hate the dam thing. Bring back the red box on the street corner.

Apparently you can make and receive phone calls on a Samsung.
Suddenly Yoootooob will be your friend. There are people with nothing more in their lives than making videos of how modern phones work. Have fun Philip😀
I've aged ten years over the weekend .. read countless tutorials - most of them written in teknoese far above my linguistic ability ...

I can now make and take phone calls, send texts, be NHS Covid apped and I have some lovely photos of my grandchildren on my 'Lock screen'. My teknoese vocabulary is still very limited but I now understand the misnamed Playstore is the goto place for apps ... although ... i've yet to restore all my favourites in the browser ....

I'm mentally exhausted but think I'll survive until I can find a 10 year old to show me what it will really do ...

I've aged ten years over the weekend .. read countless tutorials - most of them written in teknoese far above my linguistic ability ...

I can now make and take phone calls, send texts, be NHS Covid apped and I have some lovely photos of my grandchildren on my 'Lock screen'. My teknoese vocabulary is still very limited but I now understand the misnamed Playstore is the goto place for apps ... although ... i've yet to restore all my favourites in the browser ....

I'm mentally exhausted but think I'll survive until I can find a 10 year old to show me what it will really do ...
On the Samsung site you can “live chat” with real human beings to discover the secrets of the phone👍

All the best,
Poot (iPhone user)

On the Samsung site you can “live chat” with real human beings to discover the secrets of the phone👍

All the best,
Poot (iPhone user)
Ahh ... Yes, I discovered that ... but, unfortunately, you need a Samsung account (which I had to get in order to buy our fridge and freezer some months ago)... but ... trying to log in to that account with a lost password and username proved completely beyond me on the Samsung Galaxy ... perhaps another day ...

I'm awful with new technology/phones, but the samsung is pretty easy, I found my way around just by fiddling about and got there pretty easily. Samsung have an app called smartswitch - it was easy to transfer the data over - first link up with the old phone, then put the sim into the new phone and link up again.
I have an iphone for work, because I don't actually use all the features and secure systems that I actually oversee and control all the hardware for, the faceless lot in London couldn't 'get' the reason I needed an android, and as I seldom use the mobile unless I'm travelling to London or wherever, I didn't argue the toss - bloody hate it.

Samsung have an app called smartswitch - it was easy to transfer the data over - first link up with the old phone, then put the sim into the new phone and link up again.
As long as you have an I-phone with IOS 11.0 or above ... My iphone 5s doesn't come close ...

Bring back the red box on the street corner.
My first mobile phone was nearly that big! It was a huge weather proof thing, more like a 'walkie-talkie'. One of my brick-layers once laid it into a course of bricks on a job. I only realised what he had done when my wife phoned me. 😲

The chaos of language and function around technology is a constant source of amusement to me (I don't get out much). The main uses I make of my "phone" are

Reading the newspaper (no paper)

Listening to the radio (which I still call the "wireless", oh dear)

Listening to a news analysis 'podcast', which is actually the soundtrack of a televisual programme, though you can't watch it on the TV (which I call "the tube"), only on YouTube

Communicating with friends and others, via a variety of "text" apps - all of which include images, or face to face meeting apps that allow you to send text

Reading a book, an encyclopaedia, a dictionary, a travel guide, timetables, weather forecast, map (actually 4 different maps, plus one of the stars), beekeeping reference, recipe book, menus, estate agents' house details

Hailing & paying for taxis

Calculator

Timer/alarm

Pocket watch

Torch

Camera

Paying people, checking my bank accounts, moving money around

Mail-order shopping

...but still this is my "phone"! Approximately once a week I do make a phone call. If course it's a "mobile phone" (wireless), so it doesn't need a phone line - except that the signal in my house is so poor that it prefers to connect itself to my (wireless) Internet router and make the call on the Web, using the, er, phone line. The sound quality is almost always inferior to that of the phone in the hall that I remember from childhood, for which the 'number' was an exchange name and 3 digits

Oh so true ....I had to try and explain to a young work colleague about how
Telegrams were delivered by a telegraph boy on a red post office BSA Bantam motorbike - she could not grasp why you didn't just phone and really grappled with the fact that there was only one landline phone in our street and the nearest red phone box was two streets away ! How the world has moved on - or it has it ?

I have an Iphone 5s
I am mean. It was bought secondhand virtually unused for £50 from ebay. I have had it 4 years.

No doubt it will die. If it's the battery (which is still so far perfect) I will replace it - an easy diy job.
And I will buy another phone the same way.
When technology changes so rapidly and depreciates so quickly I reserve my pennies to spend on beekeeping .. (well pounds of course).

I write this on a home built PC: all the parts apart from the software were used. Much simpler than car diy - just like meccano..for those over 60.

Oh so true ....I had to try and explain to a young work colleague about how
Telegrams were delivered by a telegraph boy on a red post office BSA Bantam motorbike
Posh town then - My grandfather tells me that in our village way back when Mr Tracy-Phillips the postmaster would just look out on to the street beckon the nearest child who was playing nearby, slip him a halfpenny and direct him where to deliver the telegram. When the Armistice was announced in 1918, the lucky boy was given a shilling, a union flag and told to run around the whole valley announcing the news.

The chaos of language and function around technology is a constant source of amusement to me (I don't get out much). The main uses I make of my "phone" are

Reading the newspaper (no paper)

Listening to the radio (which I still call the "wireless", oh dear)

Listening to a news analysis 'podcast', which is actually the soundtrack of a televisual programme, though you can't watch it on the TV (which I call "the tube"), only on YouTube

Communicating with friends and others, via a variety of "text" apps - all of which include images, or face to face meeting apps that allow you to send text

Reading a book, an encyclopaedia, a dictionary, a travel guide, timetables, weather forecast, map (actually 4 different maps, plus one of the stars), beekeeping reference, recipe book, menus, estate agents' house details

Hailing & paying for taxis

Calculator

Timer/alarm

Pocket watch

Torch

Camera

Paying people, checking my bank accounts, moving money around

Mail-order shopping

...but still this is my "phone"! Approximately once a week I do make a phone call. If course it's a "mobile phone" (wireless), so it doesn't need a phone line - except that the signal in my house is so poor that it prefers to connect itself to my (wireless) Internet router and make the call on the Web, using the, er, phone line. The sound quality is almost always inferior to that of the phone in the hall that I remember from childhood, for which the 'number' was an exchange name and 3 digits
Three digits? Some of us only had one ☺️

Latest posts

Back