i have a queen i bought

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
online in april

the colony has had a steady 4 frames of brood (and space) for two months now

am deciding she isnt up to it

I also now have a late June swarm with a q that has laid 5 frames of brood in a week

intend to unite via newspaper this weekend onto a double brood and then add super as there is a flow on

correct?

I might be tempted to consolidate into one brood box giving me 9 frames of brood and whack on two supers. Keep the extra drawn brood frames in the freezer

Are you sure your queen 'isn' t up to it'? Is the colony too small to be able to care for more brood? Has it got enough flyers to bring in enough pollen, have you checked varroa load? Have you got a 3 frames nuc box to put her in there with a frame of brood, bees and feed?

It seems to be the norm for a lot of people to change a queen without really looking closely at a hive to assess why they may not be building well... They listen to Finman far too much :)

all good points

varroa load is low...no evident nosema....9 seams of bees as merged a couple of colonies some time back

but

will move her to a nuc and see...good point...then merge with swarm...and prob into one bb

no i havent

i have had a colony die through nosema and have some limited experience of nosemea versus normal poop

have fed with thymol tincture too so not seen a problem elsewhere

q and bees look healthy..just a static 4 frames of brood

no i havent
i have had a colony die through nosema and have some limited experience of nosemea versus normal poop

They don't have any dysentery/poop problems with Nosema Ceranae, they have a lack of older foragers to help the colony build up, if a queen gets it then it affects her ovaries and egg laying.

Out of interest for learning. Can you treat them if its this type of nosema c ?

Thanks ericA

Latest posts

Back