How to feed Candy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other option would be leave wooden crownboard on for winter but that may comprise all the thermal properties of the polys...

Compromise to what extent? There should be no air leaks anywhere at the top of the hive and a well designed crown board would have a 40mm frame, across which the heat has to conduct. Any energy passing through the roof is still impeded by the thermal properties of the roof.

Why bother with all the mess and effort of making it ?

£15 doesn't reflect the time and cost of delivery. If the maker does not cost in time and the 11kg of sugar are considerably cheaper, then why not? Seems like about six quid a pack to be saved, especially if you know what you are doing and don't mess around with all the pandering to unecessary detail as some do. No need to make any mess either. Work smart.

:iagree:

Why bother with all the mess and effort of making it ?

£15 doesn't reflect the time and cost of delivery. If the maker does not cost in time and the 11kg of sugar are considerably cheaper, then why not? Seems like about six quid a pack to be saved, especially if you know what you are doing and don't mess around with all the pandering to unecessary detail as some do. No need to make any mess either. Work smart.

I get mine from a local baker who orders it in for me and I collect it on my way home from work so no delivery charges.

To make the same amount would cost me abaout £9 in sugar plus gas costs plus time to make it plus time to clean the utensils afterwards.

I'd agree it would be worth making it if I was feeding 30-40 hives but for the amount I use, I would rather just pay the extra few quid and not have to make it.

Latest posts

Back