How to feed Candy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Hi,

I want to make my own candy again this winter and have seen on you tube how easy it is to do properly. 3 questions I could do with help on please:

1 - as well as sugar and water i saw a demo which used some liquid Glucose out of a jar, do you use this method, or just sugar and water?

2 - When I feed my candy, can I just put it on the top of the frames whilst it's still fully wrapped in a layer of cling film all round it, or do you put it on the bars on top of some paper and fully open on top? I have a small wooden frame to keep the roof up off it.

3 - I don't think when I made it last year that I boiled it hard enough, it came up nice and solid white, but after a little while in the hive it was leaching sugar syrup from it into the hive.

Oh and one other thing, I have a colony short of pollen, can I leave feeding Pollen substitute till the early spring or do they need protein before this?

Thanks everyone

1) Liquid glucose is just another syrup. You could use it in solid form. It helps to retain workability in the fondant (doesn't go rock hard).

2) Wrapped, but with slits in the underside is good. On top of a Q/E is one way to avoid fondant stuck as much (between brood frames). As I have only used it as an extra feed, when they are light during the winter, I have generally fed from above the crownboard. Only the odd kg at a time and never more than three, ever.

3) It's in a warm part of the hive and will absorb condensation and 'drip'. Be sure to keep it well insulated from above and it will likely be better.

plastic takeaway food container upturned over the feed hole in the crown board

:iagree:

I cut the whole block up and put into sandwich bags then seal them. Then when I want to use them cut a small hole in bag and place over feed hole. The plastic bag stops it drying out.

In the past I've wrapped it in greaseproof paper or cling film with small hole 50p size over hole in crown board.

I saw the glucose syrup on utube as well but the beekeeping book from the national trust recommends cream of tartar instead: 2kg sugar+1/2ltr Water+1 teaspoon of tartar at 112degrees

Cream of tartar acts like an acid bringing about some acid hydrolysis of sucrose to make small amounts of glucose and fructose (inversion) but also the formation of HMF which is harmless to us but not so good for bees. Commonly used in the bad old days but today I think the accepted view is not to use it.

Much easier to buy a block of bakers fondant from your local baker and probably in terms of time, fuel, and cleaning up considerably cheaper too.

PH

Cream of tartar acts like an acid bringing about some acid hydrolysis of sucrose to make small amounts of glucose and fructose (inversion) but also the formation of HMF which is harmless to us but not so good for bees. Commonly used in the bad old days but today I think the accepted view is not to use it.

Do you think the one teaspoon of cream of tartar is really that harmful?

Do you think the one teaspoon of cream of tartar is really that harmful?

Any acid opens up the possibility of increased HMF formation. The acid acting as a catalyst, rather than a reagent, it doesn't need much ...

Better (for small home-made quantities) to go to your local health-food shop and buy some glucose -- and some fructose too, it helps keep the fondant moist, and is a very natural constituent of nectar and honey.

... Liquid glucose is just another syrup. You could use it in solid form. It helps to retain workability in the fondant (doesn't go rock hard). ...

Two clarifications on that.

1/ Don't even think of using Golden Syrup (lots of HMF, etc).
Or any other misc syrups you might come across.
The point that O90O was making is that glucose as glucose-only syrup and glucose as crystals or powder is precisely the same glucose (just with different amounts of water).

2/ Glucose messes up the sugar crystal formation on cooling. Resulting in smaller and more fragile crystals, making the paste smoother and more pliable. But longer term, in storage, I believe its fructose and (for the brave or commercial icing manufacturer) a drop of oil that ensures retaining the 'workability' of fondant.

Think i've covered this off before but going to double check as I want to get it right as its my first winter :).

As im on poly hives I have a plastic crownboard - currently using wooden during feeding but they are due off this weekend. Can I just place the fondant if it starts getting low on the top bars directly then unturn the swienty poly feeder. Do you leave it on all winter or take it back off once they've taken it down, as I dont really want wild comb in it if it can be avoided.

Other option would be leave wooden crownboard on for winter but that may comprise all the thermal properties of the polys...

The answer is yes and mine have yet to build wild comb in the upturned feeder.

PH

plastic takeaway food container upturned over the feed hole in the crown board

Just without the lid or wrapped in bag with a hole in it Redwood?

Made my first batch ever yesterday and it turned out alright. First year getting bees through the winter, so very paranoid about them starving. :)

Cheers.

Both candy and fondant benefit from being wrapped in plastic with a goodly hole in it on top of the top bars for the bees to get access. The covering keeps things that bit moister for the bees

I read somewhere about fondant dripping down between the combs... canna say I have ever seen it nor would I expect to with a colony suitable for winter

PH

Both candy and fondant benefit from being wrapped in plastic with a goodly hole in it on top of the top bars for the bees to get access. The covering keeps things that bit moister for the bees

I read somewhere about fondant dripping down between the combs... canna say I have ever seen it nor would I expect to with a colony suitable for winter

PH
Cheers Poly!

for me -

upturned poly feeder on LS poly hives (full sized or nucs)

apiguard eke on wooden nats.

and use a decent chunk (eg 1/3-1/2 of a bought block) rolled out as necessary.

Bakers Fondant = £15 for a 12.5kg Block.......

Why bother with all the mess and effort of making it ?

...Other option would be leave wooden crownboard on for winter but that may comprise all the thermal properties of the polys...

Its all about area, air leaks, and height above the entrance.

A thin crown board wont be much of an issue as the area exposed is small (assuming poly roof no vent). Some tape or cling film wrapped round the join to the brood and the join to the roof, will help counteract any of the losses.

Why bother with all the mess and effort of making it ?

£15 doesn't reflect the time and cost of delivery. If the maker does not cost in time and the 11kg of sugar are considerably cheaper, then why not? Seems like about six quid a pack to be saved, especially if you know what you are doing and don't mess around with all the pandering to unecessary detail as some do. No need to make any mess either. Work smart.

Latest posts

Back