How not to feed fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
I have just checked my hives.
I only meant to check the nuc and Beehaus...as I was unsure of stores.
I opened the nuc and lifted the insulation under the lid the check how much fondant was left...only to find hardly any eaten....well I didn't think that could be right due to the hefting record for the nuc. So I lifted the fondant ...I had put it on in a plastic bag with slits in the underside. The slits had closed up as the fondant 'flowed' slightly. So the bees had got nothing and all my effort wasted.
So that meant I had to check all of them...off came the fondant bags and on went the fondant I made a few days ago and had stored in takeaway boxes. At least I know they can get at that fondant. Into the kitchen to get the fondant out of the bags and into takeaway boxes...ready for any top up necessary.
What a faff! Just as well I was keeping a check by hefting and knew the nuc was getting lighter!
Another lesson learnt...if you use bags....cut a section of plastic out of the underside of the bag.
More importantly....when checking the Beehaus...discovered that a takeaway box fits over the centre hole perfectly and the roof fits over the box. That has resolved a dilemma in regard to feeding fondant to the Bees in a Beehaus.
I have 2 hives that are hefting fairly heavy ATM...so no feeding so far. The queens in these hives are offspring from a B+ carniolan. So a bit of feedback there for B+.
Always lots to learn about bees.....and what suits one beekeeper doesn't suit another!

The only way I've ever put fondant on is in slit bags and never been a problem. If it was 'oozing' it should be even less of a problem, it's only sugar, it won't reseal the plastic. A few diagonal cuts across the underside makes sure the top bars are not an obstruction, which would be my concern.

Tremyfro:

I posted already somewhere on the forum, at my place - we cut the strips ( 1-2cm wide) out in oposite way than frames go and place directly on top bars opened side.

I don't know how slits got closed, maybe my bad understanding english..

Attachments

• eaten.JPG
    eaten.JPG
    535.7 KB · Views: 84
I don't think that I thought it through when I made the slits. I just made some slashes....didn't think about the bees not being able to get inside...as it was the recommended way to do it. Realise now that the slashes should been at 90 degrees to the frames...how utterly stupid!
Still alls well..that ends well.
Also finding out that the fondant plastic box fits under the roof of the Beehaus was a lucky discovery. Every cloud has a silver lining!

No harm done and you learned from the mishap, so it was effectively a positive experience.
I wonder how many bee keepers do not realise that in square hives, such as the national and commercial, it is best to have excluder slots/wires running at right angles to the top bars, especially if wide top bars are used?

Why would that matter with a framed wired excluder ?

I do like top bee space. I find the Maisys nucs I bought are great in all aspects except for top bee space. I resolved this is by using very narrow short lengths of wood and placing them on the ledges where the roof sits. It isn't possible to slide the roof on as it sits on the ledge...by raising the ledge...It allows a small amount of top bee space...therefore no squashed bees. Also use then when using the feeder too. The eke has been really useful for adding fondant...I used a wedge of sheepskin wool as extra top insulation.
The nuc mentioned above is in one and doing ok so far this winter....now they will have some fondant they can actually access!

Use cling film instead of plastic bags. As long as the bees know it is there they will chew the edges of the film for access. Polythene is much tougher for them and if they cannot gain entry, they will only use what they can 'reach'.

When you cut your slits in the block, just peel a flap back. Done loads, no problems.
If you use cling film, they do tend to drag it down between the frames.

If you use cling film, they do tend to drag it down between the frames.

And shredded strands of it out through the mouse guard holes, if they are fitted, often blocking them up completely, a lot of bees also get caught up in the shredded cling film and die.

And shredded strands of it out through the mouse guard holes, if they are fitted, often blocking them up completely, a lot of bees also get caught up in the shredded cling film and die.

:iagree:

Next time...I will bend a flap back but for now have returned to using the takeaway boxes. What a thicko....can't believe I did that.....just as well I had been hefting....or I wouldn't have known something funny was going on!

Latest posts

Back