Roof Ideas Pls..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian123

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
So I have a plan for some simple 6 frame nucs. The best solution for a roof atm is probably using them in pairs making an eke that overlaps like a wbc lift and using one of those plant trays. That would then enable feeding/fondant and roof cost would be about £12..Do any have any simple cheap roof constructions? Once I get 1 knocked up I’ll know some exact dimensions, just looking for ideas atm.

For 10 years or so we've been using slabs of insulation board (I find 40mm to be a comfortable thickness to handle but have used thicker when it's been free) simply placed on the (top bee space) nuc with a stone on top. No need for cover boards/polythene. Waterproof, warm and very long lasting.

Not a very clear photo, and not the best examples but the idea was there and its proven very successful since.

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_174626.jpg
    IMG_20230127_174626.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 8
Glad you started this Ian as I was thinking the same for my home made mini mating nucs and a few 2 in 1 6 frames nucs. I currently use the same as Neil, bit of a fiddle and I haven't mastered the corner fold as yet. Some take in water, the wood has started to rot. I think the more flexible pond liner is an option but slightly more expensive.

Glad you started this Ian as I was thinking the same for my home made mini mating nucs and a few 2 in 1 6 frames nucs. I currently use the same as Neil, bit of a fiddle and I haven't mastered the corner fold as yet. Some take in water, the wood has started to rot. I think the more flexible pond liner is an option but slightly more expensive.
I have spent many years wrapping Xmas presents so forming the corners come as second nature. 😀I make a wooden roof out of thin ply with a rim of timber around the edge to form the downstand. The DPM is stapled to the bottom of the rim so I don't get leaks. They seem to last along time as I've had not deterioration in the last 5 years I've been using this material.

Thks all….I need something you can get a feeder or at the very least a bag of fondant under.

Thks all….I need something you can get a feeder or at the very least a bag of fondant under.
I just make the rim on mine deeper. I have some rims 3"deep but the edge of the DPM is stapled to the edge rather than underside of the rim.

Why don't you make your roof as normal but use an integrated crown board/eke with 45mm batons? I do this using a router to make a 5.5mm grove (fit neatly around 5.5mm ply) and leave 5mm bee space on 1 side and the rest on the other. You can put a 5mm baton in the middle to ensure bees can't pass in the other nuc.

Last edited:
Yes - pond liner is great. Comes in a wide range of sizes and easliy cut with scissors or blade so great for all roofs. Really tough - you won't tear it at all. Just don't put your smoker on it!! Although a bit of black gorilla tape does a patch job if needed.

Not as cheap as some of the above but I've used flashband. Painting glassfibre resin on ply can work too.

For 10 years or so we've been using slabs of insulation board (I find 40mm to be a comfortable thickness to handle but have used thicker when it's been free) simply placed on the (top bee space) nuc with a stone on top. No need for cover boards/polythene. Waterproof, warm and very long lasting.
Does the rain not run back underneath Rolande? Do you have man overlap?

@Beesnaturally, a sufficient over cut negates water issues and also, remember that there's no need for an inner cover so the board is propolised down too. At any rate, I've never found such an issue.

Edges could be taped but I've never seen a practical need although it would give a more pleasing finish.

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_180502.jpg
    IMG_20230127_180502.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 1
I love this idea!

Latest posts

Back