Bait box woes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 must stop now.....
Was experimenting with some odds ends of kingspan and made a passable nuc/bait box last year, and put it in a hedge up the field near my hives.
Roll on this year, and it became a convenient store for odds and ends to save walking them back and forward from home. Some sealed fondant, spare hive tool, nitriles, can of pop, binoculars to watch the red kites etc,. And you can guess the rest.........

Was strimming and noticed bees in and out. It's rammed to the rafters 🤣, and it looks like they've been there a while.
Rather than rip out what's going to be a sticky mess, my plan is to put another box over the top and try and draws them up. Not got a nuc without floor, but have a load of poly ekes, so idea is to make a tower of them, with some borrowed brood and rest Foundation, roof and strap above the others. Then once they are up and Queen is laying there, add excluder and eventually lift the to lot into a proper nuc.
Sensible solution? Problem's I've not foreseen? Any other ideas before I make yet another mistake?

Thanks mark

Was considering that, there a couple frames without foundation in there too, but their brace comb looks really twisted,
will have a better look today now the strimming fervour has died down.

You could put a floor and bb with frames and ideally a frame of brood in situ. Crown board on with hole that corresponds with bottom of bait hive. Crack lid on bait hive and apply beequick, if it’s slow going push a couple of soaked rags into the bait box. The bees will be driven down into bottom box below, they may even come out the front door. When bees are driven from box disassemble saving and cutting out brood or slide an excluder across, cheap plastic are good for this!

Latest posts

Back